Thread: what is the point of 120 days retention?

Poster
    I've just changed to Giganews, which has 120 days retention

but I use Newzbin to search for articles, but this only searches up to 100 days in the past

so, are there other, preferably free, search-type sites which will go back 120 days?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Search/Indexing sites simply haven't 'kept up' with the retention of most/all of the 'majors'. Why, especially those (for pay) sites like Newzbin is a great question, one which is discussed a lot. After all, to simply increase the database storage is a minimal thing next to actually hosting the files. But, they still lag. My observation is that the indexing sites have been loosing membership at a goodly rate the last year or two, and therefore the income has dropped; I know for a fact that Newzbin subscribers have 'in hand' credits (days) that if everyone stopped buying any more 'right now', it would be at least two years of no buying whatsoever, thanks to the 'liberal' credit giveaways in the past. But also, the proliferation of nzb sites has also cut away at their 'potential' customers; I'm probably like many, I find that Newzbin 'skips' or 'misses' so much these days (last year+) that I went back to d/l'ing headers, keep my eye on sites such as this, and put my Newzbin account on 'vacation' most of the time, coming up for 'air' once or twice a month. A this rate, my 'in hand' credit will last some 5+ years. So.... A couple three things are hitting their 'bottom line'.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Binsearch has almost 190 days retention now on all groups

http://www.binsearch.net/groupinfo.php

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Hi BigH

Choose Newsleecher + SuperSearch Service, it can search articles up to 140 days-old and it supports more groups than binsearch and newzleech.
    Last edited by stephenchow; 06-07-2007 at 09:10 AM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenchow View Post
    Hi BigH

Choose Newsleecher + SuperSearch Service, it can search articles up to 140 days-old and it supports more groups than binsearch and newzleech.
    I did use them both (and still use Newsleecher on its own), but found SuperSearch difficult to use.

I like the simplicity of Newzbin (ie one name comes up per tv show/film) rather than, say, 40 files for a particular tv show, and I have to ensure I download them all (unless I'm doing something wrong)

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Personally I don't see the advantage of supersearch over binsearch or nzbindex. Its not even free of charge.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by groggy View Post
    Personally I don't see the advantage of supersearch over binsearch or nzbindex. Its not even free of charge.
    ease of use i would imagine is the advantage. they have taken out the step where you have to download the nzb then load it. i know its silly but people are damn lazy.

and the point of 120 retention is its a great marketing tool for giganews. storage is realitively cheap compared to bandwidth so its easier for them to say look we are the best 120 days no one else has that rather than up download limits.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by BigH
    I did use them both (and still use Newsleecher on its own), but found SuperSearch difficult to use.
    Yes, because you didn't read the guide, sorry
    Code:
    http://www.newsleecher.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7855
    I'll teach you right now
    you can search exact strings, for example: "beautiful girls" with double-quote around the strings.
    you can search articles which contain all keywords by putting space between those keywords
    you can search articales which posted by a person for example: poster:Giggi
    you can find articles that match minKB/maxKB; minDays/maxDays
    you can combine all techniques I mentioned above just in a query.
    For NewZBin/Newzleech/Binsearch: you have to generate .nzb files and import to your client before you start downloading, for Newsleecher, it's easier: just click Leech from result window then Newsleecher put your articles to queue!
    I love SuperSearch because it's easy to use, supports more groups than NewzBin+BinSearch+NewzLeech and SS has a customize filter for results.

Quote Originally Posted by BigH
    I like the simplicity of Newzbin
    Yeah! I know what you mean exactly, just give them a suggestion/an opinion. Good luck. NewZBin currently supports maximum of 100 days-old files.

Quote Originally Posted by 4play
    and the point of 120 retention is its a great marketing tool for giganews. storage is realitively cheap compared to bandwidth so its easier for them to say look we are the best 120 days no one else has that rather than up download limits.
    if GigaNews increases days of retention, they'll upgrade their bandwidth because customers will spend(download) more bandwidth(customers+GN), of course, articles are stored on RAID systems (not cheap).
    I choose GigaNews not only because of it's 120 days of retention, actually GigaNews is the only and truly professional NG provider.
    I don't satisfy with other NG providers(NewsHosting has bad speed sometimes, some articles are damage); UNS/NewsDemon (very good speed but I can't download some articles, especially Nordic from Europe).
    Last edited by stephenchow; 06-07-2007 at 07:25 PM.