Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 184 pin DDR obsolete

I have been looking around at the new hardware lineup in terms of motherboards and realised how fast things become obsolete. It is hard now to find a motherboard with an AGP slot (all PCI-e now), socket A is nearly obsolete, motherboards now have either DDR or DDR2 RAM. Things move incredibly fast.
    My question is how long do you think the standard (as of now or even last year) 184 pin DDR RAM will be in circulation before all motherboards that are released are equipped with the new 240 pin DDR2?
    At this rate, I am giving it approx 6-8 months.

Any opinions?
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Yes I agree with you.

I want to upgrade my Ram (bought it last year) and now the speed of the ram being offered by my supplier is different to what I have now !

PC Magaziines keep running articles on upgrading your PC. By adding more ram etc.

To my mind nowadays if you want to upgrade your PC you have to buy a motherboard, CPU and Ram all together.

Regards

Digby

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I my view 184 pin DDR RAM is already obsolete.

Why would anyone buy a motherboard that uses that RAM now?

Same goes for AGP.

And OMG! Socket A???

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    I my view 184 pin DDR RAM is already obsolete.

Why would anyone buy a motherboard that uses that RAM now?

Same goes for AGP.

And OMG! Socket A???
    Well, if you get an Athlon XP 3200+ at 2.0GHZ, and watercool it with OC to over 3GHz, Socket A can still be a decent system.

Although I don't know why anyone would ever do that.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I'm not saying that people would go out and buy those components or systems today, but rather try to upgrade systems with these components already there.
    Try to upgrade anything on a socket A motherboard other then optical drives and hard drives, and you are forced to upgrade at least motherboard, cpu, and gpu all at once, and most likely RAM as well.
    PC components move along at such a rate, that when a system needs a simple upgrade, there is no such thing.
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Oddly, DDR2 is also way cheaper than DDR was- I just saw a 2x1GB deal on Newegg for $139.

Motherboards on the other hand are going through the roof...$250 used to buy you top of the line stuff but now they approach $400.

Lots of our old sockA folks are now getting the bad news that their platform is not just officially dead but basically extinct as well. None of our suppliers even carry the bottom end stuff (PC Chips, AS Rock) boards at all.
    A few weeks ago I sold my NF7s to a die hard fan (i.e., idiot) for $125, which is more than I paid new, IIRC. I would have almost given it away honestly, but I figured I start high and let him bargain me down to like maybe 20 bucks but he just said OK.

I felt bad for about a nanosecond then decided it was just an example of Darwinian economics.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    cRaZyzMaN's Avatar Benfica Fan BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    It depends ddr2 with low latency are to expensive, so ddr1 it's still a good ram.

socket a is quite old, i think it's a dinosaur

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    You are right clocker, the DDR2 is far cheaper then the older DDR
    If you are from Canada, you can get 2x1gb of PC5300 for as litle as $68 at Canada Computers
    Now that is a deal.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Oddly, DDR2 is also way cheaper than DDR was- I just saw a 2x1GB deal on Newegg for $139.

Motherboards on the other hand are going through the roof...$250 used to buy you top of the line stuff but now they approach $400.

Lots of our old sockA folks are now getting the bad news that their platform is not just officially dead but basically extinct as well. None of our suppliers even carry the bottom end stuff (PC Chips, AS Rock) boards at all.
    A few weeks ago I sold my NF7s to a die hard fan (i.e., idiot) for $125, which is more than I paid new, IIRC. I would have almost given it away honestly, but I figured I start high and let him bargain me down to like maybe 20 bucks but he just said OK.

I felt bad for about a nanosecond then decided it was just an example of Darwinian economics.
    Even Thomas Sowell would be proud.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Even Thomas Sowell would be proud.
    Now I feel dirty.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast