Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: New Harddrive recognized as dvd-cd rom ?

  1. #1
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,360
    Just installed a new WD 500 GB SATA drive. I have installed many drives before but never run across this. Ater installing and reboot, the drive is recognized as VBE HH DVD ROM 500D SCSI CDROM Device. I'm not able to format the drive at all because its recognized as dvd-cd rom.
    It might be helpful to know I currently have 3 other drives installed. 2 IDE and another SATA drive, 5 partitions total. This drive will be storage only, not my main drive.

    Windows XP SP2
    MSI K8TNeo2-Fir

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,497
    How does it appear in the BIOS?

    What about in the Disk Management?

    Try temporarily disconnecting the non system drives to see if the WD drive is then detected properly.
    Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 06-11-2007 at 04:11 AM.

  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,360
    It appears as a cd-drive in disk management.

    Something I hadn't noticed was that my 250GB Sata drive wasn't recognized at all with the 500GB plugged in. with the 500 unplugged, my 250GB is back.

    ( by reversing it and unplugging the 250GB leaving the 500GB plugged in, it is still recognized as a cd rom )

    Cannot check BIOS atm, I'm using a USB keyboard
    Last edited by RPerry; 06-11-2007 at 05:07 AM.

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    9,810
    The drive shown is a virtual drive. It is created by Virtual CD from H+H Software.

    Perhaps that software is interfering with the system. I've seen problems similar to this before with virtual drive devices. Suggest you try uninstalling it.
    .
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,360
    Funny you suggested "Trying to uninstall it" Lynx...
    cause the bastard wont let me.

    Both times has forced a reboot in the middle of the uninstall wizard.

    Perhaps I should put this on hold until next weekend, when I can take the time to dig out my PS2 Keyboard and get into safe mode

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,871
    Quote Originally Posted by RPerry View Post
    Funny you suggested "Trying to uninstall it" Lynx...
    cause the bastard wont let me.

    Both times has forced a reboot in the middle of the uninstall wizard.

    Perhaps I should put this on hold until next weekend, when I can take the time to dig out my PS2 Keyboard and get into safe mode
    LOL, and while in the bios, change the setting that lets you use a usb keyboard.

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    ulun64's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, M
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RPerry View Post
    Funny you suggested "Trying to uninstall it" Lynx...
    cause the bastard wont let me.

    Both times has forced a reboot in the middle of the uninstall wizard.

    Perhaps I should put this on hold until next weekend, when I can take the time to dig out my PS2 Keyboard and get into safe mode
    LOL, and while in the bios, change the setting that lets you use a usb keyboard.
    I don't think you can get into the Bios without a PS2 keyboard unless the motherboard use a jumper setting to go into Bios.

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    24,069
    Quote Originally Posted by ulun64 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    LOL, and while in the bios, change the setting that lets you use a usb keyboard.
    I don't think you can get into the Bios without a PS2 keyboard unless the motherboard use a jumper setting to go into Bios.
    Most BIOSes (well, for all 2 of my fairly-new computers) have an option to let you use USB keyboard before windows boots.
    Something about legacy keyboard somethingorother. It's been a while.

  9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Delta B.C. Canada
    Posts
    10,816
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    The drive shown is a virtual drive. It is created by Virtual CD from H+H Software.

    Perhaps that software is interfering with the system. I've seen problems similar to this before with virtual drive devices. Suggest you try uninstalling it.

    Your probably on to something there Lynx , one of the reasons I quit using Alcohol 120 and PowerIso was the constant screwing up of drive letters . Even after uninstalling the software the problem was still there . I ended up reformating .

  10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,497
    Yeah but in order to enter the BIOS to set it to use USB keyboards you need the connect a PS2 keyboard just to get to that setting.

    Catch 22 again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •