Thread: Putting bits from my laptop into desktop

excuse my terminology...not so good on that stuff.

My laptop is being a tit. It woldnt turn on for ages, so i wnet inside and found that if i touch the cirtuit around the power button, it turned on. This was all fine.

Now though, it turns on, but the screen doesnt and the lights on the front freeze, meaning it's not booting.

So, i gather thats totally buggared. If not, let me know. I wen tin to check all conections etc, all seeme fine.

I have a desktop. I'd like to put that thing that holds all my files into this other computer. Is this possible? I know it has a special casing for the laptop, and know how to remove it.

Do i need to remove the one thats in the desktop, or can it be added also?

The desktop holds no files, i use it to watch DVD's, so not bothered about keeping anything on it.

I dont have a windows copy, so if i change the memry thingy, do i need to reinstall it all?

Thanks!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quit trolling, Manker.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Quit trolling, Manker.

Clocker, we have yet to be introduced. i know of Manker, i am not him..
    nOte the number of posts i've made, either im someone else of manker is mental.

Seriously Clocker, can you help.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Yes there is adapters so that you can hook up your laptop hard drive to your destop so you can view the files and change/add files too. The easiest one would be a usb adapter for it. One can find these on newegg.com for about 10 to 15.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    AstainHellbrin is spot on.

This is the sort of thing you need to look for, a USB enclosure for 2.5" drives (example only, not a recommendation):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817155704

You may have to take the existing drive out of it's current enclosure, but once you've done that the fittings should be standard. For simplicity, try to get one that doesn't need an external power adapter.

Most of them are made in China anyway, so you will probably have great difficulty in obtaining one.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    AstainHellbrin is spot on.

This is the sort of thing you need to look for, a USB enclosure for 2.5" drives (example only, not a recommendation):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817155704

You may have to take the existing drive out of it's current enclosure, but once you've done that the fittings should be standard. For simplicity, try to get one that doesn't need an external power adapter.

Most of them are made in China anyway, so you will probably have great difficulty in obtaining one.
    I have one like this and can recommend it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817145124

It doesn't need an external adapter and if your USB port doesn't provide enough power (I haven't found any that don't yet) they provide a USB cable that can get power from 2 ports.

Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 06-15-2007 at 01:50 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Quit trolling, Manker.
    Hilarious

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Quit trolling, Manker.
    Hilarious
    Thanks guys. I'll have a try at what you said.

I'm definitely not Manker. I do know of some of his threads in the lounge...some people think he is dead!?!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    I have one like this and can recommend it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817145124
    I have that unit's bigger brother ( for PC HDDs) and it is a great bit 'o kit.

Hi, jimbo.
    I knew you weren't Manker.
    The Lounge's King Lizard never scaled the stairs of our ivory tower, preferring instead to hurl insults from the safety of the rabble at it's base.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo12345
    I dont have a windows copy, so if i change the memry thingy, do i need to reinstall it all?
    Haven't a clue.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg