Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A bit paranoid (email related)

This may be a dumb question but I use my .edu email address for practically everything. Would it be stupid to use it on BT trackers to keep track of PMs and what not? I mean, in theory if anyone ever got a hold of it they would have my name and University. But then again, that is pretty paranoid.

What do you think about it?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Don't use such email addresses. They give up too much about you, and most trackers don't give a shit about your privacy, only theirs.
    Give as little info as possible about you, whenever you can.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    True, true...in the event of a raid I'd be shat on as well, unless you want to apply the principal of "security by obscurity" but still on some trackers I have pretty amazing ratios.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    anonymous0711's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    honestly i wouldnt do it, personally i've tried to keep my accounts as far away from anything that can be easily traced back to my name as possible and would suggest you do the same...
    Just for the record you arent downloading on your schools network are you b/c thats also a huge no-no
    but yes as for the original subject just create a gmail(it seems to be the preferred e-mail of most trackers) and keep connect your trackers to that its just easier and a little safer

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous0711 View Post
    honestly i wouldnt do it, personally i've tried to keep my accounts as far away from anything that can be easily traced back to my name as possible and would suggest you do the same...
    Just for the record you arent downloading on your schools network are you b/c thats also a huge no-no
    but yes as for the original subject just create a gmail(it seems to be the preferred e-mail of most trackers) and keep connect your trackers to that its just easier and a little safer
    Oh no I am certainly not downloading on the school network that's why I have my seedbox that doubles as a VPN. Also do you recommend having an account JUST for trackers? That seems a bit extreme for me since I don't like using multiple emails frequently. I have no problem using a standard Gmail as my common email.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    tippertime's Avatar Your E-Stalker BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    a lot of trackers let you change your email...i would go ahead and do that where you can

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    n00bz0r's Avatar Say what? BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by tippertime View Post
    a lot of trackers let you change your email...i would go ahead and do that where you can
    your old email id still stays on their db.
    if you get your '[email protected]' email id changed to '[email protected]', the system would log it as: email id changed from '[email protected]' to '[email protected]' on 'date' by 'name of staffer'. So,it'd hardly make any difference.

Be careful about using your 'other' email id in the future whenever you signup to any site.
    Last edited by n00bz0r; 05-25-2010 at 02:13 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Use a GMail account from now on instead of your .edu address. If you're registering on an open tracker just to check it out, have a look at this:
    http://www.spambog.com/en/home.htm
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    graywolf's Avatar The Anime Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    Use a GMail account from now on instead of your .edu address. If you're registering on an open tracker just to check it out, have a look at this:
    http://www.spambog.com/en/home.htm
    Won't work with private ones?

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    It should work on most of them, but you'll probably want to use a GMail addy for those.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast