Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unplug USB - Computer Shut Off

I just built my new computer. I installed my printer drivers and hooked it up. When I unplugged the USB cable that hooks the printer to my computer, my computer immediately shut off. The printer was still on.

The computer doesn't shut off when I unplug the USB cord and the pritner is off. This doesn't seem normal that my ocmputer should shut off just b/c the printer is on. I did this with my other computer and it didn't shut off.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Also, I installed a firewire PCI card onto my motherboard. When I finished, my computer wouldnt turn on. I turned off my power surge protector (this is what my computer is plugged into) and turned it back on thent he ocmputer would turn on. But when it came on it said CMOS Checksum Bad - F1 to run setup, F2 to restore default values.

I tried F1 and everyhting in the BIOS and CMOS looked normal (althoguh I don't kwno much abotu BIOS or CMOS). I hit ESC and Windows started. The next tiem I restarte dmy PC, the same CMOS error came up, but this time I hit F2. Things seem to be ok now, but I'm wodnering, what caused CMOS Checksum Bad?

Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    ulun64's Avatar Poster
    Did you stop or uninstall the printer before unpluging?

If not then it's incompatibility of the PC's and your USB printer is the only reason I can think off. I don't think it's a hassle to switch off your printer 1st before unplug it.

BTW why do you want to unplug & plug your USB printer? USB is a plug & play device but the physical port itself is not a true plug & play device. You will wear & tear your USB faster is do a lot of plug & unplug.

For the "CMOS Checksum Bad - F1 to run setup, F2 to restore default values." just press F2 it's will solve it. If it's happen again the change the CMOS battery.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I don't need to unplug and plug in my printer while it is on, I just thought the fact that doing so shut off my computer could be the manifestation of some sort of hidden problem within the computer. In other words, it's not that I will be unplugging often, it's just that I was wondering if something was wrong, b/c I don't think I have this issue with other computers.

Thanks for the info about CMOS. Do you know what could have caused it, though? Or what caused my computer to not turn on?

Thanks

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjamonkey View Post
    I just built my new computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ulun64 View Post
    ...change the CMOS battery.
    Unlikely that the battery (which is new) is at fault.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjamonkey View Post
    I don't need to unplug and plug in my printer while it is on, I just thought the fact that doing so shut off my computer could be the manifestation of some sort of hidden problem within the computer. In other words, it's not that I will be unplugging often, it's just that I was wondering if something was wrong, b/c I don't think I have this issue with other computers.

Thanks for the info about CMOS. Do you know what could have caused it, though? Or what caused my computer to not turn on?

Thanks
    I think you have to reset the CMOS with the pins on the mobo whenever you get a new one (recommended).

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Did you disconnect the computer from the mains before installing the Firewire PCI card. From the way you've described things I'm guessing you didn't.

Many people don't realise that power is always supplied to the motherboard even though the system seems to be off, unless you disconnect the mains supply or use the switch on the back of the PSU.

The result is that inserting or removing a PCI card or memory stick will often send a small spike across the motherboard. If this happens you can expect to see cmos corruption at the very least. At worst, you could blow the motherboard or the PCI card.

I'm not sure about the USB port problem, does it happen every time or was it just a one-off? And is this after the situation with the Firewire card? If so, it may be an indicator of motherboard damage.

If the port is connected to the motherboard by a cable, check the wiring.
    If it is connected directly to the board, check that the board doesn't short to the case when you remove the printer cable, and that the bits of the case that are supposed to be grounded (like round the ports) are making good connection.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    When you unplug the USB device does the compute rlitterally shut off or do you mean it seems to restart.
    If it restarts then then you're likely getting a BSOD because of unplugging the device.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    When you unplug the USB device does the compute rlitterally shut off or do you mean it seems to restart.
    If it restarts then then you're likely getting a BSOD because of unplugging the device.
    Good point. Disabling the Automatically restart "feature" would show the error msg instead of restarting.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    The computer went black and restarted

Also, in regards to the firewire card, no I didnt disconnect the mains. Thanks for the info. Hopefully I didnt do any damage.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    ....If it restarts then then you're likely getting a BSOD because of unplugging the device.
    +1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast