Thread: How to set up DNS

mikechrobot's Avatar Trader Hater BT Rep: +2
    how can i set up DNS to connect to my home connection so i can put a site online?

and how much will it cost?

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    If you've got (or can get) a static address you should contact your ISP - registering a domain through them is probably going to your easiest option.

If you've got a dynamic address it is unlikely that your ISP will offer a domain though. In that case you will need to register with one of the dynamic dns services, such as:

http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/
    http://dyns.cx/

Those are free if you are willing to use one of their domain names. If you want your own domain name you will have to register one (not free).

The other thing you need to do is keep it updated. Some routers will do this for you - this is by far the easiest option - otherwise you will need to update manually.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    yeah my router has this option for 2 dns services, not home right now so don't know what they are, and how much does it cost to register a domain?

and how can i make my OS (windows xp) send the website out when somebody connects to it?

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by mikechrobot View Post
    and how can i make my OS (windows xp) send the website out when somebody connects to it?
    The fact that you are asking this question suggests to me that you aren't anywhere near ready to use a web service on your own system.

First of all, check the terms and conditions of your ISP, many of them don't allow you to offer a web service from your own IP.

They may offer free or low cost web space and a certain amount of web hosting built into your current contract. If they do that would be the best way to go, since you would have a ready made web address and server, and it doesn't affect your own internet speeds.

If you really want to use your own server you will need to install a web server (such as apache) and possibly a a database engine (such as MySQL). Do this first to make sure it is really what you want. Adding the external DNS and domains only takes a short time, but there's no point in paying for them if your ISP can provide these functions free.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    yeah they provide a 50MB space but the address is really stupid like http://w3.enternet.hu/cmario/ and i don't think there is a way to redirect DNS to it, and the space is really small anyhow, and I know it's gonna affect my internet speeds, but i don't want to make a big site, just for a couple of people
    thanks for your help, I will try it once i get home

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    thesixthsensor's Avatar P0st3r
    heres a tutorial that might be of some help.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=FGEUClII8x0