Thread: Best 3d Card On The Market.

Alternatives are the GeForce 4 Ti4200. I picked mines up @ best buy for $140 , as $128 but tax is a bitch.

64mbs ddr, and i love the performance. You can get it online like @newegg.com for like $112, prob free fedex shipping too.

9700's are nice from what i keep hearing though too. around the same price.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    While the 4200 is an OK card, it should be priced at about $100. The 4200 is not a true DX9 card. The FX cards are the only nVidia cards that are true DX9 cards. I would however only recommend the FX cards to the hard of hearing or those that want to become hard of hearing as there fans are unpleasantly LOUD.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    if ur looking for a good quality one but u dont have alot of money get a GeForce FX 5200 128 MB. but if u goit lots of money and dont need a better PC go with the Radeon 9800 PRO thats for serious ppl tho. below that is 9700 thats pretty good as well plus the GeForce 5900 is coming out and thats what they used to show the DOOM III Demo at E3

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Twist3r
    here is a cool one ATI All-In-Wonder 9700 Pro 128MB AGP8X Video Card

its good if u got a extra $400

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Pitbul@17 June 2003 - 09:08
    if ur looking for a good quality one but u dont have alot of money get a GeForce FX 5200 128 MB. but if u goit lots of money and dont need a better PC go with the Radeon 9800 PRO thats for serious ppl tho. below that is 9700 thats pretty good as well plus the GeForce 5900 is coming out and thats what they used to show the DOOM III Demo at E3
    didn't they use a 9700 pro to demo doom3?
    or are we talking about different shows?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    OK - I think it is time some of you check out www.pricewatch.com You are paying WAY too much for your video cards. The 9700 Pro boxed retail goes for $265. I just got mine two weeks ago. You save money on tax since you just order from a vendor in another state. This is not one vendor but many vendors competing for your business and listing their prices. If you are in a rush, call the vendor first to verify it is in stock before ordering.

The 9600, 9600 pro and up are all DX9 cards. The person asked for cards with longevity so I'm not recommending any non DX9 cards.

So for $265 you get a VERY good card with plenty of longevity.

As for the doom3 demo, they use both depending on the show, it performs fine on both. The nVidia drivers had to be specially produced for the demo show as they have throttled the default ones for the game because nVidia was blamed for releasing the alpha of Doom - I don't know if it is true as there are many rumors. If you have have any of the 4200-4600 you will find the alpha is REALLY slow. I haven't tried it with the FX cards yet although I've seen most of the performance comparisons.

I am extremely dissappointed in nVidia as of late although I used to always put their cards in all of my systems (over 400). Their cooling fans are horrendous and their performance is lacking. Their modifications to trick the performance tests is something I honestly didn't think would happen but now it is public knowledge. Hopefully they will turn things around but right now I won't touch there cards until they make some drastic changes in performance, cooling and price!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    i am in the uk. could i use a card bought in the usa or canada or other overseas country without any probs?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by 2nd gen noob+17 June 2003 - 10:39--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (2nd gen noob @ 17 June 2003 - 10:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Pitbul@17 June 2003 - 09:08
    didn&#39;t they use a 9700 pro to demo doom3?
    or are we talking about different shows? [/b][/quote]
    no at E3 they used the 5900 ultra to show case Doom 3 there was even a story about it (dont have a url sorry ) and there was talk saying they it would be gears and built towards working most efficiently on that specific card but never happened and use common sensed and u&#39;d figure out why. Half Life 2 ran on the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB card also they said again that Half Life 2 was gonna be gear to run best on that card but never thought twice about it. basically the reason why they didn&#39;t want to gear it toward one card would be very lil sells cuz no one is gonna go out and buy a very expensve card just to play a game.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    Any of these geforce fx 5900

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    racer II's Avatar Poster
    A month ago i bought an Ati radeon 9600 pro (128 mb ddr ram) 3dfx card.
    And it rocks&#33; B)

Its really a great 3dfx card.
    System:
    LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
    Xfx 7900gt extreme
    2x Maxtor 250gb sata
    2x Maxtor 80gb (p)ata
    2x 512mb mem , dual channel
    Tagan 580w psu
    Coolermaster stacker case
    Zalman reserator 1