Thread: Creating a music database/playlist

Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    What I search for is an application that can create me a web based playlist or list/database of all my current music files. The following details/functions are needed:

-- .mp3 .flac .ape .m4a need to be recognized
    -- aside from data like interpret, track, album and length I also need the bitrate and filesize available
    -- some kind of navigation within the list/database because there will probably 40-50k files that need to be processed and that might just be too large for one single file

.. while those are mere wishes:

-- possibility to extract data from the filename, should tags be insufficient
    -- own design possible, best with css
    -- search feature. I'm able to host dynamic files, php would be my preference
    -- lists of artists and complete albums and/or filter by artists, genres, bitrate
    -- detection of .cue files to not have several misleading and unlabeled hour long tracks in the list/db
    -- easy synchronization/update feature

I basically need just something to display my music database accordingly and every further feature is something I'll welcome with open arms. WinAmp and its export feature is not it, there's too much missing.

Thanks!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    I use amarok which whacks plenty of that info into a database of your choice. sqlite, mysql or postgresql.

I played around and wrote myself a few php pages that could be used to display all my music, all my albums + coverart or list of artists. adding a search function would not be too difficult.

I cant remember if bitrate is stored in the database but the database updates itself every time you open Amarok and it scans your collection for updates so its always up to date.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Ah, amazing. It's unfortunate that the current version is kde-based and will therefore not work on Windows. Something to look forward to is v2 though because with qt it will be a cross-platform application

I may just test amarok in a virtual sandbox first, so thanks for suggesting it, at least there's some work to be done in the next few days.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    After some more hours search in google, I've found a Windows based application that does almost what I want. The Helium Music Manager 2007 allows me to scan any directory I want for music files, plus it works with .mp3, .ogg, .flac .ape, .m4a and also lets me use .cue files without the need to split the music up! Through plugins I can get additional information from the web, like amazon, that even contains cover images. I do have an album browser, an artist browser and a music library where I can search for pretty much everything I want or need. Creating a list works fine by highly configurable html-templates. And the best of it? The application works with MS Access databases, MS-SQL databases and mySQL databases.

When amarok will be released on Windows I'll certainly test it, but Helium is pretty much what I searched for already, so I'm beyond happy