Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Price Of Books

Poster
    Originally posted by Gurahl@16 June 2003 - 15:08
    somebody has just borrowed the book I wanted...
    Sorry..... i'll return it in 3 weeks

Seriously, I know what you mean. You don't know how many germs you'll find on public library books

Yuck :x

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Ynhockey's Avatar Poster
    Well, in Israel there are 2 kinds of bookstores: Russian-only ones or Israeli ones with several languages. Russian-only stores have very cheap prices, but only Russian books (an average price for a hardback would be ~$8 US). Israeli stores have outrageous prices but if you wanna buy a non-Russian book, you have no choice. I usually buy 'cans' of books second-hand (you can get really great deals), and new releases from the store... no choice

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Tikibonbon's Avatar It'll Get Ya Drunk!
    8$ for a hardback? new? sweet! they average 30$ here!
    http://jerome.galica.free.fr/dc%20comics/Green%20Lantern/GreenLantern_ION.gif

4. Lounge   -   #14
    cost about $6.00 for a paper back book here now and its a little high but still well worth it i still buy 2-3 books a month or so even with the i net to get most of them from

hell u cant print a book at home for less then $6.00 any way
    u can do it with a lazor printer for 2-3 bucks maybe but not on a color inkjet ull spend $20.00 to print it on a inkjet just on the black ink cartrage and if u dont have a black ink cartrage u have to mix colors to get black and a color cartrage cost even more

all in all a book for $6.00 is a good deal

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Depends on the book as to whether I think it's too pricey. If its a new book, or fairly new, then I have no problems paying about $7 new, $4 used for it. If this is a "classic" book we're talking about here, $7 is waaay too much, and a lot of used bookstores want that because they can milk the schoolkids for it. I mean c'mon, "Brave New World" may be required reading, but sheesh, poor kids have to snag a copy too.

Don't ever buy hardcovers new, buy them when they get marked down to $6 on the "Buy it please!" table.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    garage sales are hella good

7. Lounge   -   #17
    I remember that i once went to this book sale- you know the sort - cut price, closing down sale, 50% and above off, these goods must be gotten rid of, ectera, ectera

I saw this software programing book, which was for some unspeakably ancient program. I picked it up and turned it over. to get alook at the price tag. it was $37.50. now if that is not expensive- remember it's less than half price- i don't know what is.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    It all depends on the book. It varies between 10 euro for a book to 50 euro....I think it's too expensive. I'm only a student and I can't afford buying all the books I'd like to read....BUT, the government is working on a fix price for books, so that would be something.
    For now, I go to the library to get the books I like. The library at my university is pretty up to date, and it's all free

9. Lounge   -   #19
    I don't bother to buy books at retail stores anymore. If you're willing to be patient and sacrifice immediate gratification needs, then you don't have to spend the money. 3 months after a hardback is released I can usually find it at an auction site (ebay, yahoo) or half.com for $2.00-3.00 (plus $3.00 shipping, of course). That beats the heck out of paying $27.00 (+ tax) retail.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    There are always plenty of people who don't mind spending $27.00 for the book and then selling it to me for $3.00. Why should I complain? Sure, they're used, but after only one reading they have little or no wear. When it's so cheap, it isn't worth the frustration of trying to borrow one of the beat-up germi-filled books from the library.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast