Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Iraq - what's the way to resolve the mess?

  1. #1
    What is needed to stop all this kiling and hatred, from all of us?
    Is it resolvable?
    How? Why not?

  2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    9,810
    Blocking the insurgents and their supplies is of overwhelming importance. However it is not likely to be effective unless the West stops blaming people who are not at fault. Mind you, if that premise had been followed this mess might not have started in the first place.

    The Iraqi government is ruled by a Shi'a coalition, and there is little prospect of that changing without a breakup of the country. Such a breakup would almost certainly lead to renewed calls for an independent Kurdistan, which in turn could lead to disorder in Kurdish areas of Iran (and Turkey). Iran is overwhelmingly Shi'a, and has little reason to want the overthrow of the current government, nor the breakup of the country.

    Certainly there will be some people coming from Iran (and elsewhere) simply to drive out what they see as an occupying force, but I'm quite sure that the Iranian government is well aware that they are unlikely to leave in the current circumstances. Certainly, many will arrive through Iran, but the areas they are likely to come through (east of Baghdad) are sparsely populated.

    So who would benefit from a change of government? Since it would give more power to the minority Sunni population it would make more sense to look in that direction. Pakistan is a possibility, but their government is "friendly" so we won't see any accusations in that direction. The problem is that in the areas this sort of support is likely to be coming from, government control is patchy at best.

    Strangely enough this is the sort of area where Osama bin Laden has been hiding and, assuming he is still alive, there has been little success in finding him or his followers.
    .
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

  3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    I dont think it is solvable. I think seperating the country up and giving land to each faction would be extreme, but something major is needed.

    I never understand how much is religious hatred, and how much is just hatred.

    I think we need to stop pushing democracy on the world. Saddam was a git, but in the eyes of the everyday iraqi, are the coalition forces seem as just as evil? If someone killed kids in a school (albeit accidently) in UK or US, the population would go mental.

    It's another Vietnam IMO.

    God help them all.

  4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    SAM's Avatar Fst philosopher BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,942
    to solve it ....USA must withdraw from Iraq but UN troops from Islamic countries instead
    after that ,there must be a real election in Iraq to bring real people who has popularity and willing to change .
    and actually if USA want to solve this problem all it has to do is stop interfering with other countries problem and stop talking about democracy and freedom for middle east while we never feel any difference .

    For Serving Community



  5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    The UN depends on the United States for its funding and if the United States want to block development they will by cutting promised funding. Another problem is banks like the World Bank which make force countries to plummet into debt so that they can bow down to pressure and accept incentives



  6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    SAM's Avatar Fst philosopher BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Michellin View Post
    The UN depends on the United States for its funding and if the United States want to block development they will by cutting promised funding. Another problem is banks like the World Bank which make force countries to plummet into debt so that they can bow down to pressure and accept incentives
    you are absolutely right
    it's all about what the American people want
    when 9/11 happened the American administration took it as an excuse to invade Iraq saying "Iraq has a mass destruction wepeons"
    and it was just a lie
    now they destroyed Iraq but it in the edge of civil war
    and they want to get out leaving all this mass behind
    and the same American administration went to afghanstan saying "we will get ben laden"
    it has been six years now did they catch him ?!
    my question is
    why American people don't stop this administration why American people don't make a stand against this bloodshed
    why????

    For Serving Community



  7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    I'm Back Everyone :) BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo12345 View Post
    I dont think it is solvable. I think seperating the country up and giving land to each faction would be extreme, but something major is needed.

    I never understand how much is religious hatred, and how much is just hatred.

    I think we need to stop pushing democracy on the world. Saddam was a git, but in the eyes of the everyday iraqi, are the coalition forces seem as just as evil? If someone killed kids in a school (albeit accidently) in UK or US, the population would go mental.

    It's another Vietnam IMO.

    God help them all.
    Im with you man.

  8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    AmpeD's Avatar the o'lol factor BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    771
    Make and amendment to the constitution to allow 3 terms then reelect bush. He obviously has an effective game plan.
    *cough*

  9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by AmpeD View Post
    Make and amendment to the constitution to allow 3 terms then reelect bush. He obviously has an effective game plan.
    *cough*
    He's already taken care of that. No need for the elections, he can just declare martial law if he wants to.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •