Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the latest verditct on Vista v XP ?

Hi Guys

Those of you who have upgraded to Vista - are you glad you did ?

Is it better for day to day use than XP ?

Are you having many hassles with it ? (not driver problems).

Kind regards

Digby

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    It has taken a couple of days to get used to it. I would have been more efficient if i had stayed on xp. But it does have some nice extra features, most of which i have removed.
    The worst part is the UAC, userapp control which prevents you from doing anything, so i turned it off until i have set everything how i want it.
    It is the 1rst time i have had a legal copy of windows, so i will keep it.
    Having problems installing firewall and antivirus.
    I like the interface
    The biggest change is they have made everything more "friendly" which for me makes it more complex.
    I have a headache so not too positive right now.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    can I curse? FUCK!
    I found it extremely confusing to use in the beginning. Browsing for files was pretty hard but I got the hang of it in a few minutes and it took a day for me to get used to all of vista.

Right now I'm happily using it. The problem is that vista still isn't optomized for games so I'm suffering a loss in frames.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    It does have a learning curve but now that cracks are rampant on the web and software devolpers have come to the fore its much better , My system screamed on it but sadly programs were not up to par .

Its changed so much in the last 3 months so I'd recomemned trying at least . I'v been back and forth between XP and Vista it would make your head spin .Useualy because my fav program would n't work on Vista till now .

I'v only used Ultimate tho so can't say about the watered down versions like Home or the like . Thats not a slite against you Zed as my Version dummied down on my 4 year old system anyway . No Aero for example .

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...s/default.mspx

Quote Originally Posted by Shiranai_Baka View Post
    I found it extremely confusing to use in the beginning. Browsing for files was pretty hard but I got the hang of it in a few minutes and it took a day for me to get used to all of vista.

Right now I'm happily using it. The problem is that vista still isn't optomized for games so I'm suffering a loss in frames.

I'm on a Mac right right now so can't check , but have you tryed the old XP compatibility wizard , run under Xp drivers ? Does it come with Vista ? I can't remember but it was an old gamers trick at one time . Just a thought tho .
    Last edited by peat moss; 06-23-2007 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    can I curse? FUCK!
    What do you mean peat moss? I couldn't really understand that question.

Do you mean mean running compatability mode?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I actually prefer it. It actually runs programs better than xp did for me. The reason for this is because Vista was built with multi-core processor support in mind. Whereas XP say them as 2 individual processors, Vista sees a single dual core and uses it more efficiently. Also, vista starts and shuts down more efficiently. And when it shuts down, it closes programs better than xp. I had problems w/ xp crashing programs when it was shutting down (utorrent really pissed me off cuz it had to re check hashes, and also daemons I had running would crash) making the entire process take much longer. And when a program inevitably crashes while running, vista is MUCH better at actually ENDING the process. Remember doing this with xp? You would hit "end task" like 10 times and MAYBE it would work.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiranai_Baka View Post
    What do you mean peat moss? I couldn't really understand that question.

Do you mean mean running compatability mode?

Ya sorry for being so vague it was just a thought .

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut

Laugh

Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    The biggest change is they have made everything more "friendly" which for me makes it more complex.
    Funny how that works, but I know what you mean.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    especially
    A-rightclick desktop - display properties -
    -in xp it goes straight to the shit
    -in vista it Explains all the shit and then you have to choose which part of the shit you want to edit, plus they double hid the essentials.

B- Duplicate files -
    in xp - do want to overwrite this with this?
    in vista - bla bla bla nice images bla bla?

One nice tweak is at shutdown, it instant kills applications (it prooves that microsoft does look at the web)

search function is cool - i disabled some of the search features such as outlook etc

the hidden menu in explorer is sexy - press alt and it pops up

desktop in "my docs" is a good move. (no more C:documents and settings/users/ name/ desktop etc)

removed favorites and preview pane

in explorer i really like, when in the left pane, expanded files adjust automatically so that they are always in view.

just need to work out where everything is
    Last edited by 100%; 06-24-2007 at 03:46 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    maybe in the futere vista when they make it more safe !
    its full of bugs !
    i won't leave my xp alone in the desert till then !
    i think we must admit its more beautifull then xp , but you can always install good software and themes on xp to make it look nicer !
    many friends buyed laps and they came with vista !
    the only problem is that the big pc producers made drivers only for vista and no more drivers for xp !
    they are trying to kill it slow !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast