Thread: Does Anyone Remember Earl Thompson ?

Poster
    Just getting my feet wet here at the deep end of the pool.

I read two books by this author ( many years ago ) and was very impressed with his ability to thoroughly draw a reader right into his fictional world. It would seem that his extremely vivid and true-to-life approach to sex in " A Garden Of Sand " and " Tattoo " firmly placed him into the genre of erotic fiction, but I think that was an unfair categorizing of his ability. The man was simply an amazing story-teller. I would love to be able to get a copy ( electronic or otherwise ) of the last novel he completed before he died; " Caldo Largo ".
    Any ideas ?

2. Lounge   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I read both "A Garden of Sand" and "Tattoo"; erotic, yes, but as you say, he painted pictures with words.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Poster
    Wow ! Didn't expect this to get a reply after all this time. Apparently, there aren't a lot of people who've read this author. I was beginning to think there was a possibility that I might be a bit odd for finding his style so fascinating. Tell me j2k4, how long ago did you read them ? It's been about 10 years for me. B)

4. Lounge   -   #4
    About 5 years-I've often wondered about why he didn't get more play.

I've seen his name mentioned here and there, but always in conjunction with those two books; I'm off to work now, but maybe I'll give 'im a google afterwards--
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Poster
    Well j2k4, I guess the question of why Mr. Thompson seemed to be overlooked by so many people might be answered by the fact that he only published 3 novels during his brief life. ( Caldo Largo was released posthumously )
    Another factor may have also been that the " discomfort factor " in reading an autobiographical account of an incestuous relationship ( in his debut effort ) was difficult to overcome for many readers.
    I found this interesting little bio from a Google search of my own:

E. Thompson

You might find it a worthwhile read when you have the time.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Interesting; I think I'll keep my eye open for his other two books.

Thanks, Riddler.

-Mark Twain

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Poster
    My pleasure, j2k4. I'll do the same. Peace. B)

8. Lounge   -   #8
    iamtheoneandonlyone's Avatar Andromeda Ascendant
    That book "Tattoo" sounds familiar. I kind of sorta remember him, but usually I only remember authors that I've read.