Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: best player on ubuntu...

I used the standard Movie Player for a bit and than VLC for linux. But eventually when u wanna play those pesky files from china with the *.rmvb extension. There is no better player than Mplayer. Plays just about everything

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    division's Avatar Member
    Definitely:

Amarok for music. It has an excellent collection browser/search, and I love that it's queue oriented, meaning there is a clear list of upcoming songs that you can easily re-arrange and edit. I hate players like itunes where you have to create a playlist every time you want to pick songs that come next. It should be a simply primary feature. Amarok also has cool other things built in, like last.fm song announcing and a context page that has song lyrics, artist info, etc. The interface is pretty beautiful and a perfect balance of simple and feature-full.

VLC for video. Plays almost everything I've ever thrown at it, and it's small and clean.
    For weird formats, mplayer might help, but it's not as fun.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    I actually use totem (with the xine backend) for viewing most my movies. If it can't play the subtitles or something else doesn't work, I can always trust the good'old mplayer. VLC is nice, but sometimes .srt subtitles won't work as they should.. For music, be exotic and try out bmpx It's a project with great potential, and well worth checking out. I just love the integrated last.fm feature.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123