Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 And 16 Colors Only Selection?

I reinstalled my computer with a Windows 98 SE cd but now when I canīt choose 256 colors no more,only 2 and 16 color and it doesnīt look good.

When I go and check for my graphic adapter is says that I have one called "Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)" and I dont have internet access on my old computer so I canīt make it to search for any updates.

How do I solve this,I had 256 color before but not now after the reinstallation,HELP!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Ex-member
    You need to install the drivers for the video adapter. You should have a CD with them on it. If not, you'll need to find out what adapter you have and then download the right drivers, take them to your computer, and install them.

You should also make sure that your monitor has the appropriate drivers. If you don't know what drivers to install for the monitor, just try the 'Plug and Play Monitor' option under 'Standard Monitor Types'.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Do you know what video card you have in the machine?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I donīt know how to do that stuff.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Somebody1234@16 June 2003 - 18:47
    Do you know what video card you have in the machine?
    no I dont

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Ok just open the computer case. Look inside at the card that your monitor is plugged into. Can you see if there is any company name or brand?

Another way is can you tell us what model your whole PC is?
    Or do you still have the bill from when it was purchased?

Edit: to add that I will be around here to help you as you work out these small details. I will be away for the next 30 to 45 minutes but then I'll be around.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by Somebody1234@16 June 2003 - 18:53
    Ok just open the computer case. Look inside at the card that your monitor is plugged into. Can you see if there is any company name or brand?

Another way is can you tell us what model your whole PC is?
    Or do you still have the bill from when it was purchased?
    Iīm not sure but I think my old computers name is "GenuineIntel" and the monitor name is "SONY CPD-200ES"

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I just noticed that I am not the only one with this problem,searching in google I found THIS which a guy had same problem but he solved it,I read all 5 pages but I didnt understand a damn thing.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Ok, I'm back.

One question... Was your Windows 98 CD bootable?

By the way, nice monitor.

"GenuineIntel" doesn't help here.

You could try Balarc Advisor: click here to download. Install it and it will tell you about the components of your PC. Look for what it says for 'Display' along the right side of the screen. Tell us what you find.

Or... Try it this way..... Take notice of where the monitor cable is connected. Unplug your PC open its case cover. The connector where the monitor was plugged into is part of a card. That card is inserted into a slot of your motherboard. Remove the small screw that holds the card in and wiggle the card out or its slot.

Once you have done that come back here and describe all what you can see about that card. It must have some writing on it or on its chip.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Im back now too but I think I will just reinstall it with Windows 2000 instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast