Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vista question

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by myminpins View Post
    I'm dual booting my laptop with win XP Pro and Vista Ultimate. I have 2 gigs of ram and run NOD32. Works like a charm.

I'm also using Norton Ghost 12 and backing up my drives every day just in case

Just remember, if it says something along the lines of, "This software has known compatibility issues with Vista" blah blah blah, be very careful. I completely fubared my Vista twice before finally figuring out all the quirks. Haven't had to reinstall in over a month now
    Well done.

I believe I've got the requisite paranoia to succeed with it; I lucked into a decent PC to use as an XP Pro workhorse while I play with Vista, so that any fubars shant be catastrophic.

I've also thought about dual-booting my laptop, but I think I'll get the other two sorted first.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I'm dual booting my laptop with win XP Pro and Vista Ultimate. I have 2 gigs of ram and run NOD32. Works like a charm.

I'm also using Norton Ghost 12 and backing up my drives every day just in case

Just remember, if it says something along the lines of, "This software has known compatibility issues with Vista" blah blah blah, be very careful. I completely fubared my Vista twice before finally figuring out all the quirks. Haven't had to reinstall in over a month now
    what were you installing?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    myminpins's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post

I don't remember what it was the first time. The second time, it was Alcohol 120%!! LOL

I LOOOOOVE Norton Ghost!!!!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Oooooh.

There's a question...

I wonder if I can use the post installer from my XP Indego disk to throw a few of it's progs on Vista?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Oooooh.

There's a question...

I wonder if I can use the post installer from my XP Indego disk to throw a few of it's progs on Vista?
    Yes if you go to the folder on the dvd , think its called " install " and run setup from there .

Always pissed me off it wasn't under Software , thought boy is that dumb .

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Oooooh.

There's a question...

Yes if you go to the folder on the dvd , think its called " install " and run setup from there .

Always pissed me off it wasn't under Software , thought boy is that dumb .
    It'll be the WPI folder...I just have to somehow sort the progs that'll work with Vista from the ones that won't.

For example, I now know to steer around Alcohol 120, right?

-Mark Twain

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    There's a few lists around of Vista compatible programs. I'll see if I can find a few...

EDIT: Found it..

http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.ph...atibility_List
    Last edited by myminpins; 06-30-2007 at 10:23 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    There's a few lists around of Vista compatible programs. I'll see if I can find a few...

EDIT: Found it..

http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.ph...atibility_List

Your right buddy and don't forget software updates , a lot of programs work out of the box and cracks or serials still apply . Kav 6.0 for example .

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    I don't remember what it was the first time. The second time, it was Alcohol 120%!! LOL
    I installed it wihtout trouble.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Well, were you running a 64 bit version of Vista? I guess it works okay with 64 bit but NOT 32 bit. If you go to their site (Alcohol) it even says it's NOT Vista compatible.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast