Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: America's Reasons

TheDave's Avatar n00b
    Originally posted by evilbagpuss@17 June 2003 - 18:17
    The degree of pure contrarianism you demonstrate continues to amaze.
    hehe, thats the 2nd time you've used that word without explaining yourself. What was it about my post that you believed defies conventional wisdom? This is the 2nd time I've been forced to ask you that. Any chance of an explanation or are you going to continure making irrelevant statements?

Are your implying that the US Gvt is incapable of stopping IRA fund raising that has been going on for over 3 decades? If that doesnt defy conventional wisdom I dont know what does.

I see a pattern emerging here.. when you get backed into a corner and cant defend your views you break out the thesaurus.
    so its not just me then.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    Poster
    He made it up.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by evilbagpuss@17 June 2003 - 13:17
    The degree of pure contrarianism you demonstrate continues to amaze.
    hehe, thats the 2nd time you've used that word without explaining yourself. What was it about my post that you believed defies conventional wisdom? This is the 2nd time I've been forced to ask you that. Any chance of an explanation or are you going to continue making irrelevant statements?

Are your implying that the US Gvt is incapable of stopping IRA fund raising that has been going on for over 3 decades? If that doesnt defy conventional wisdom I dont know what does.

I see a pattern emerging here.. when you get backed into a corner and cant defend your views you break out the thesaurus.

edited: typo
    I actually don't own a thesaurus, EBP; I do, however, have a job.

I shall return @2300 hrs to settle up, fella.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    crazy_billy_bats's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by j2k4@17 June 2003 - 16:55

To blame the U.S. for these goings-on, to accuse the U.S. of sanctioning these "events" is to flaunt one's ignorance.
    nah sorry to dissapoint you mate, i wasnt generalising.

It just plain sickens me that any human being (American or not) can fund raise for people who murder.
    Therefore, these Americans sicken me.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    Poster
    I believe the citizens of the United States have the right to freely express themselves protected under their constitution. As indeed do most citizens of civilised countries.

There are things which are allowed in my own city, which support political views, both by demonstration and by actual fundraising with which I do not agree. I find the things which they are supporting to be personally abhorrent. In a very real sense.

However as long as I support every persons right to express themselves then I must also accept this.

As I have said on many occasions here, that freedom extends to me.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    crazy_billy_bats's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by JPaul@17 June 2003 - 18:35

However as long as I support every persons right to express themselves then I must also accept this.
    I myself agree and support every human beings right to express themselves.

However, i believe people who express a will to give money to murderers should not be allowed to proceed in their "activities", whatever they may be.

Views or not, people are being murdered in my country as a result (and i am not suggesting this is the only reason, as of course it is not) of people in America (both Irish, American, Irish-American, as well as other races and creeds im sure) giving money to known terrorists.
    People who have been known to engage in terrorist activities in Northern Ireland, namely, Martin McGuiness who himself admits to being a member of the IRA (and this whole ridiculous facade of his is being played out in the Bloody Sunday Enquiry, which im sure you are aware of, where he denies involvement with the IRA).
    Besides, I could go on a lot about this, but the fact remains that no one should have the right to take a life. And no one should have the right to give money to fund murderer's, as is clearly happening. Although on a much smaller scale i am led to believe as a result of 9/11 and the whole "War on terrorism".
    Thank u and goodnite! Peace!
    Bill

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    i have a funny video about this. Search for bush war.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #48
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by crazy_billy_bats@17 June 2003 - 12:43

I myself agree and support every human beings right to express themselves.

However, i believe people who express a will to give money to murderers should not be allowed to proceed in their "activities", whatever they may be.

Make up your mind, Billy.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. The Drawing Room   -   #49
    Poster
    It's easy to support the first amendment rights, or their equivalent, until the person says something you disagree with.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #50
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by JPaul@17 June 2003 - 17:19
    It's easy to support the first amendment rights, or their equivalent, until the person says something you disagree with.
    How right you are.

When I lived in D.C. I dated a woman who worked for the ACLU.
    She was Jewish.
    At the time, one of the ACLU's high profile cases involved defending the rights of the American Nazi Party to hold a rally in Skokie, Ill.
    She was conflicted, to say the least.
    In the end she decided that her belief in the necessity of defending the 1st Amendment superceded her religion/history.

All of the people I met at the ACLU were well aware of the contempt and disdain that many people held towards them. They could see how absurd and distasteful some of their cases appeared to the majority. I believe that we just saw such expressions here on the Board in the thread concerning the Muslim woman in Florida.
    Disagree if you must, but you really can't doubt these folks' sincerity and resolve.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast