Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WinMX bites the dust

popopot's Avatar To Me, To You BT Rep: +5

" Official Statement (29/06/2007):

Today I have closed down.

This decision took a while to come to however eventually it was made to terminate operations as of today. Advanced notice was given to others to prepare for this however they chose not to act on this which has caused much panic, hence this announcement.

When frontcode decided to pull the plug on WinMX I took over operations from them and continued to keep WinMX running, and made some improvements along the way, however this has not been without hassle. At every step of the way there have been people constantly doing everything they can to work against me trying everything they can to make as much hassle as possible.

I have continued to put in my time and effort despite this because at the end of the day the winmx community was worth it. Lately however there has been nothing worth saving, the once great community has mostly fallen in to people arguing and fighting, and even the small pockets of the community I used to be able to go to for a bit of fun and to relax I now can't - if it's not someone complaining it's someone pestering for answers to something. It's quite simply not something I see any point in putting my effort in to saving any more.

In case anyone is wondering why I have come to this conclusion that it's not worth it, I suggest you read peoples reactions to this closedown. If you think it's selfish of me to want to spend my free time doing something I want to do instead of what you want me to do for you, and if you think it's selfish to want to spend what little spare money I have on myself instead of spending it all on you, then you are exactly the reason that this has happened. If however you think it's perfectly reasonable for me to do whatever I want to with my time, you are apparently in the minority.

--King Macro, Head of WinMXGroup Operations

Note: WinMXWorld are apparently attempting to take over network operations from me now, so if you want to get WinMX reconnected you can try there."

Source: http://winmxgroup.com/

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    WinMX has a community?

TBH, I'm surprised they even lasted this long.
    "However awkwardly they might navigate the outside world, over the board they were killers." - NYT

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    weenden's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    yes i am a part of the community at times and it'll be sad to see them fold up
    im just a frigen dreamer and im waiting for them to come true ....trust(trst)n. 1. Firm reliance on the integrity, ability, or character of a person or thing.
    2. Custody; care.
    3. Something committed into the care of another; charge.
    4. a. The condition and resulting obligation of having confidence placed in one.
    b. One in which confidence is placed.
    "and Yes people have put trust in me""and i thank you all"

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    lol

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    ulun64's Avatar Poster
    I didn't know them at all

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    People were still using WinMX? I thought it died years ago. lol

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    BANNED BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    wtf is winmx?

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    I can't believe it lasted this long either. I quit using that program years ago.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    WinMx gone again it seems to make a habit of going. Wait..why do I still have 1000+ WinMx users logged in? Should I link them to this post?

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    GhettoPlayer's Avatar XxCrAzYNeSSxX
    Quote Originally Posted by killuminati96 View Post
    People were still using WinMX? I thought it died years ago. lol
    yeah p2p is dead but opennap servers still running..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast