Thread: Submit Your Favourite Mellow Passage!

Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quite frankly, I need a passage of text for an A2 Psychology experiment of mine. I'm looking for a passage who's language is generally calm and relaxed, kinda like a mellowing passage. Has to be fairly long though, but not "war and peace"-ish

Yes, I have found one of my own - But I thought "Why not use one of the most opinionated active intelligence networks on the internet today?" And I want to see how this works.

Submit passages if you can for now - Should they occur, please leave bitch-slapping for at least 24 hours after this post

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Lilmiss's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    how about some thing from "the hobbit" - "tolkien". the very first page is my fave.
    or "eric thompson" of "magic roundabout fame.

only replied cos no-one else had, and thought i'd put my tuppence worth in. good luck. youre gonna have to expand on what kinda material you want, or go to book world, where the smart people live.

/sure glad i left college 5 years ago.
    Last edited by Alien5; Today at 12:51

3. Lounge   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Something about your request put me in mind of the old Jethro Tull song: "Skating Away (On the Thin Ice of a New Day)"

Check that one out.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Lounge   -   #4
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    poems by William Carlos Williams come to mind for me.

example:

The Red Wheelbarrow

So much depends
    upon

a red wheel
    barrow

glazed with rain
    water

beside the white
    chickens.

- William Carlos Williams

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Nice - My default choice to tell you the truth is about three pages from Lord of the Rings, so I'm seeing what you guys can come up with.

Only things I really mean is that it can be racy, designed to be comedy etc. Basically anything which doesn't end up hyping the reader (That's the whole point of the experiment - That's why )

6. Lounge   -   #6
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    WHEN YOU ARE OLD.

When you are old and full of sleep,
    And nodding by the fire, take down this book,
    And slowly read, and dream of the soft look
    Your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep:

How many loved your moments of sad grace,
    And loved your beauty with love false or true,
    But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,
    And loved the sorrows of your changing face;

And bending down beside the glowing bars,
    Murmur, a little sadly, how love fled
    And paced upon the mountains overhead
    And hid his face among a crowd of stars.

W.B. Yeats.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    Ah. Then how about the foreward to The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy:

This is recited from memory.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the wester spiral arm
    of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded, yellow sun.

Orbting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is a small, blue-green
    planet who's ape-like descendants are
    so vastly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.

This planet has-or rather, had- a problem, which was this: most of the people living
    on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this
    problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small, green
    pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of
    paper that were unhappy.

And so the problem remained; lots of the people were mean, and most of them were
    miserable, even the ones with digital watches.

Many were increasingly of the opinion that they'd all made a big mistake in coming
    down from the trees in the first place. And some said that e even the trees had been
    a bad move, and that no one should have ever left the oceans.

And then, one Thursday, nearly two thousand years after one man had been nailed to
    a tree for saying how nice it would be to be nice to people for a change, a girl sitting
    on her own in a small cafe in Ricksmansworth suddenly realized what it was that had
    been going wrong all this time, and she finally knew how the world could be made a
    good and happy place. This time it was right, it would work, and no one would have
    to get nailed to anything.

Sadly, however, before she could get to a phone to tell anyone about it, a terrible,
    stupid catastrophe occured, and the idea was lost forever.

This is not her story.

But it is the story of that terrible, stupid catastrophe and some of its consequences.
    It is also the story of a book, a book called The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy.
    Not an Earth book, never published on Earth, and until the terrible catastrophe occured,
    never seen or even heard of by any Earthman.

Nevertheless, a wholly remarkable book.
    In fact, it was probably the most remarkable book ever to come out of the great
    publishing corporations of Ursa Minor-of which no Earthman had ever hear either.
    Not only is it a wholly remarkable book, it is also a highly successful one-more popular
    than the Celestial Home Care Omnibus, better selling than Fifty-Three More
    Things To Do In Zero Gravity
    , and more controversial than Oolon Colupbid's trilogy
    of philosophical blockbusters, Where God Went Wrong, Some More Of God's Greatest Mistakes,
    and Who Is This God Person Anyway?

In many of the more relaxed civilizations on the Outer Eastern Rim o fthe Galaxy, the
    Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy has already supplanted the great Encyclopedia
    Galactia
    as the standard repository of all knowledge and wisdom, for though it has
    many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least wildly inaccurate,
    it scores over the older, more pedestrian work in two important respects.

First, it is slightly cheaper, and second, it has the words DON'T PANIC inscribed
    in large friendly letters on its cover.

But the story of this terrible, stupid Thursday, the story of its extraordinary consequences,
    and the story of how these consequences are inextricably intertwined with this remarkable
    book begins very simply.
    It begins with a house.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Lilmiss's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    Originally posted by Sparsely@18 June 2003 - 06:49
    Ah. Then how about the foreward to The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy:

fantastic, ive just finished reading this book again, and it gets better each time.

a tall figure appeared silhoutted in the hatchway. it walked down the ramp and stood in front of arthur.
    "youre a jerk, dent", it simply said.
    hehehe.
    Last edited by Alien5; Today at 12:51

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Heh - A quote from 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Nothing comes close to the work of that

I think I'll use that - Now to find an e-book version of it.

Thanks a lot