Thread: Windows 2000 Conflicts With Connection

Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I have tried reinstalling it, all sorts.. still nocks my router's dsl connection off for Win2k and WinXP partions. Most annoying @#$%* ever. Win2k doesnt even have drivers for the LAN card, i had to get the correct ones for it (they were the win2k version) and it still stops working eventaully and prevents connection in xp ALSO (wtf!?). This has just started happening. If i restart the router and only use xp... it will never mess up (it didnt mess up since i got it and used on xp which was 7 months ago).

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    What version of win2k do you have? What's it say in ipconfig /all ?

If you installed one of the server versions with too many networking options selected it can disable DHCP and RPC but it shouldn't affect XP unless it's messing with your router settings.
    You aren't getting DOS attacks (or percieved DOS attacks) ? A lot of security articles claim that an unpatched win2k server will usually be detected or hacked within 5 minutes of startup.
    Under security/lan manager/ it should be set to "send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated" according to some security templates.
    I sometimes set it to refuse LM & NTLM and have had no problems.

Service pack three is installed?
    Win2k has a few lan drivers installed but it's real basic for adapter drivers. My realteks (chip 8139) work but always want to be upgraded, but Network Everywhere (linksys) has to be installed through add new hardware.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    You say the connection stops in winxp aswell?

Try taking th lan card out and moving it up or down one, and give it its own ip, right click, properties, tcp ip, properties, use this ip

255.255.255.0 (done auto)

If your on a lan
    then use this after those

On the other computer do this

255.255.255.0 (done auto)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I just got Windows 2000 pro (it seems the connection messed up after i installed service pack 3 for some reason).

Windows 2000's directory of hardware drivers didnt have any for my LAN card so i used the same brandname and modle that i used for winxp, but i got the win2k version off they're website.