Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Faster Than Dsl And Cable..

Poster
    Originally posted by Benno+18 June 2003 - 13:11--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Benno &#064; 18 June 2003 - 13:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-mogadishu@18 June 2003 - 08:25
    yea, i pay 50 bucks a month for a dsl connection that cant get over 90kb/s. I know this sounds like a lot to all you 56kers, but for 50 US&#036; a month i think i could get better. I could get a cable connection but the rest of my family doesnt want to, they think its dangerous and that other people can hack on if they are on the same cable line as you. I really dont give a shit, my friends get speeds up to 300kb/s and sometimes pay less for cable.. But atleast my dsl is always exactly the same speed. about 89kbps... thats the only thing it beats cable in. But late night when no one is using the cable on your block i bet you can get dls over 300 on kazaalite.
    Be happy with what you have, I pay 40€ for 30kB/s [/b][/quote]
    I pay 69 Lt = 23 US &#036; a month for 100-170 kB/s.

2. File Sharing   -   #32
    Forum Star
    A lot of college networks give the students 10 MBit/s up/down here in The Netherlands.

Too bad I don&#39;t live in a student building.

3. File Sharing   -   #33
    Ynhockey's Avatar Poster
    QUOTE (2nd gen noob @ 19 June 2003 - 00:30)

are you kidding?

some of the scandanavian countries who have t3 are extremely rich.
    you underestimate other coutries...i wonder why
    Oh yea, the rich people, I meant for those normal people, I am sure you can get t3 in US if you are rich enough.
    Actually, i believe that the average salary in the US is piss-poor compared to some of these countries... Switzerland, Sweden, maybe Germany... besides, as someone said, these countries did something in order to insure their fast connection, not sure about Europe, but South Korea is high-wired, everyone gets a 2MB connection at home by default, and it&#39;s like the phone line. So, they pay very little for it. At least, that&#39;s what i heard from a friend who now lives there...

So, yeah, the US is by far not the best country for internet.

EDIT

Also, schools and colleges have fast connections... really fast. In my school the average download speed is 1-2 megabyte/sec (that&#39;s 8-16 MBits) from fast servers, while for normal things like Geocities, etc. the speed is usually around 50-100 kB/s. So, the lines at schools gotta be really great to have these kinda speeds. In fact, once some guy downloaded a music video at school with 6.9 megaBytes/second... a 1-time occurence, but it just shows that extremely high connections exist.

4. File Sharing   -   #34
    jetje's Avatar former star
    Ach soulseek isn&#39;t that bad with speed&#33;...

have 2 isp&#39;s both over 700k down... one 16k up the other over 50k up..
    this done with the cheapest line.. €40,- a month..

5. File Sharing   -   #35
    Does it really make a different?? You got what you payed for, right?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234