Thread: PS3 Questions.

maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    IF I get the Core PS3 (20gb) and without the card reader, can I plug in a USB card reader?

Also, can I transfer pictures from my PC to PS3 like an external HDD? One of the things that bugs me about the X360 is taht you have to rip CD's, I cant just connect the 360 and click and drag the files like an mp3. Also, the 360 doesnt let you save pictures to the HDD, instead you can view the pics. So can I plug a card reader into the PS3, and then transfer the files to the PS3 HDD?

Can I put AVI files on the PS3 HDD, do I just use a USB to plug the PS3 to the PC and copy it over, or do I have to put the AVI's on a DVD and then rip them off onto the HDD?

One of the major atractions of the PS3, is how its a media centre, which I need because I watch alot of movies, and converting/burning AVI's takes a long time. SO if I can put them on the PS3, and then plug that into the TV, it'd be godly.

Does the PS3 have a built in wifi adapter? Or do I have to buy a Sony wireless adapter?
    thanks

2. Games   -   #2
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by maebach View Post
    IF I get the Core PS3 (20gb) and without the card reader, can I plug in a USB card reader?

Also, can I transfer pictures from my PC to PS3 like an external HDD? One of the things that bugs me about the X360 is taht you have to rip CD's, I cant just connect the 360 and click and drag the files like an mp3. Also, the 360 doesnt let you save pictures to the HDD, instead you can view the pics. So can I plug a card reader into the PS3, and then transfer the files to the PS3 HDD?

No Idea on that one, I have the 60gig with all the bits on it..sorry

Can I put AVI files on the PS3 HDD, do I just use a USB to plug the PS3 to the PC and copy it over, or do I have to put the AVI's on a DVD and then rip them off onto the HDD?

Not directly I dont think this is possible .. i maybe wrong though... but 2gb usb flash drive is my weapon of choice for shifting gear over.

One of the major atractions of the PS3, is how its a media centre, which I need because I watch alot of movies, and converting/burning AVI's takes a long time. SO if I can put them on the PS3, and then plug that into the TV, it'd be godly.

The media center is indeed great, it streams avi and other stuff directly through your ps3, no need to transfer avi's if they are streaming..... You can transfer your pics that way to. Personally I've found the center may need some tweaking or it could be my set up - whatever...sometimes the playback is choppy (for me) a wee bit.

Does the PS3 have a built in wifi adapter? Or do I have to buy a Sony wireless adapter?

Yes..its built in...
    thanks

Motorstorm is a great game

*shameless plug*

http://motorstormleague.com < get motorstorm and sign up for the MSL ...

3. Games   -   #3
    thanks colt.

I ahve one last question though:

If I put MPEG movies (which can be played on the PS3) on a flashdrive, and plugged that into a PS3, can I copy the files from the flash drive over?

4. Games   -   #4
    TheGeneral's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Yeah you can, tho its a bit of a pain to get it, u either have to have it (the mpg) file on da first folder of the memstick or u got to select view all or something lyk dat and find in thru the folders.
    personaly i put em on disks and read it from dere.
    The General

5. Games   -   #5
    cool, thanks