Thread: Connecting to a wireless network with WinXP

What services do I need to connect to a (new) wireless network? My laptop is on "Power user" mode, so I have disabled allot of services; and I think that has caused a problem with connecting to my wireless network.

I have an HP laptop, so I have their HP wireless assistant. When I restart, the wireless connection icon on the start menu pops up a message saying "One or more wireless networks are in range of this computer. To see the list and connect, click this message". Well I clicked the message and brought up the wireless network connection windows, which showed absolutely no wireless connections. I have connected successfully into the wireless network with my PC.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    i found a procedure like that on hp.com, and it didn't work.
    i went to theeldergeek.com and followed it's services guide, and restarted my laptop. It works!
    I just don't know what I did. I know all I did was mess with the services, tho.

Here I am again, posting a question on fst, only to fix the problem on my own lol.

Is there any particular reason why I have to restart 50 million times before getting something to work in WinXP?
    Last edited by Brenya; 07-06-2007 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    Yeah Bill Gates is an incompetent wanker.

I've found that,you post a question and you will get help,but it seems to spur you into finding the answer yourself.
    Now you've figured it out you'll be able to help the next person to trip up on it.

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Many network changes are dynamic and appear to work without doing anything. Unfortunately some of the settings are embedded too deeply for the full effect to be put into operation. But in most cases you don't have to restart in order for the changes to take effect, you can simply disable the interface, then enable it again a few seconds later.

However, that sort of procedure would be too much for some people so Microshaft tell you to restart. It is far easier for them to have a "one solution fits all" scenario than to have to work out what to do to implement changes in live operation.

Obviously, disabling the interface disconnects the network so if you are doing this remotely as soon as you disable the interface you are left with a non-functioning network that doesn't get restored by rebooting. Shame that M$ couldn't provide a button to perform the disable and enable all in one go.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.