Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fallout 3 Teaser

Cheese's Avatar Poster

This teaser trailer has made me hawt. Whilst a turn-based RPG like 1 & 2 would be great I imagine Bethesda are going to go in a different direction. Still, the setting of those games is a huge part of what made them great.

Autumn 2008 release date, so a bit of wait yet . . .

2. Games   -   #2
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    - Game runs on an evolved version of the Oblivion engine. Third person view has been reworked since the verdict was that the Oblivion version was bad.

- Game starts with your birth and your mother's death in a vault hospital. This is essentially the character customization part of the game. Your father hands you up to have your DNA analyzed and you get to pick out all your character traits. Your dad takes off his mask to reveal similar traits to the ones you picked.

- You grow up in the vault and as you grow you get your first book titled "You're Special" which allows you to choose you baseline stats for each of your 7 primary aptitudes. You'll also get your first weapons and wrist computer (menu) as you get older and take tests to determine the initial layout of your skills and traits.

- Every aspect of character creation is based on S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system. Of your 14 skills you can tag 3 to grow at a faster rate than the rest as you level up.

- Battle system is called the Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System (V.A.T.S.). The article states. "While you'll certainly be able to tackle enemies in real time using first person shooting, V.A.T.S. lets players pause time and select a target at their leisure". Battle system still uses action points, but once you've used them up you'll still be able to fight targets in real time while they charge back up.

- Game is still violent and gory. One of the featured screens is of a guy's head exploding in super gory detail. Apparently all gory deaths in the game will be in slow motion.

- More than one way to play the game. Go balls out and kill people, or sneak past situations, or perhaps talk your way out of situations.

- Enemies can target you just like you can target them, so you can get injured in very specific points on you body. This in addition to an all new health/radiation system. This new system has you measuring how radiated certain things (like water) are and how they affect you when you consume them.

- Karma system returns

- The game does not scale like oblivion, so if you enter a high level area expect to be promptly murdered.
    - Level cap is 20.

- Definite ending to the game, but there are 9 - 12 possible endings.
    - There are NPC's you can hire, but this is not a party based game.

3. Games   -   #3
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Ehh...the trailer doesn't show any gameplay.

I'm glad Bethesda has this now cuz Black Isle's version looked shit.

4. Games   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

Agreed about Bethesda.

I also Agree about the trailer. It only shows some wreckage and then a man with a gun. Nothing more. What kind of Trailer is that >.< You can't even assume anything.

5. Games   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Delorean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

Agreed about Bethesda.

I also Agree about the trailer. It only shows some wreckage and then a man with a gun. Nothing more. What kind of Trailer is that >.< You can't even assume anything.
    Actually the trailer is similar to what we see with most games. I thought Halo 3's trailer with the shield was nice.

However, with Fallout 3, I saw what it looked like when Black Isle had it so I remain unenthused.

6. Games   -   #6
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I reckon Black Isle's version would have rawked, they created one of the best videogames of all time in Fallout. They also had a hand in some great games in Planescape, Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.

It's called a "teaser" not a "trailer" for a reason. This is pretty standard stuff in the videogame industry (same with with films), just the first-step in the hype-campaign. You can, however, assume a fair bit from the trailer. Chiefly, that there will be a lot of elements from the original trilogy (the faux-50s future setting, the humour), the setting is Washington and Ron Perlman will be back for narration purposes. And, apparently, the trailer was rendered with the in-game engine.

7. Games   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    And, apparently, the trailer was rendered with the in-game engine.
    Well that's a good sign.

Black Isle may have made a great game before just like I'm sure the old FF games were good before. However, after seeing initial Fallout 3 footage (from Black Isle), it looked shit.

I have no doubt Bethesda will make a kick-ass game.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 06-19-2007 at 07:01 PM.

8. Games   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    thx

9. Games   -   #9
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Looking forward to this!

10. Games   -   #10
    Bah, I've gotta force myself to get into playing the original Fallouts.. The graphics, initial difficulty, and interface kinda scared me off on first pass.. Eh, maybe I'll have to dig up some cheat codez cause the whole world seems to rave that they are a couple of the most awesome rpgs evar..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast