Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive And Extra Ram

(>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    I am hoping to add some extra storage space to my pc and some ram. Can anyone suggest what I should go for and where the best place to buy it is. I am looking for 512 ddr ram+ and a fairly large 80 gb + storage device. I am pretty new to the upgrading department so I don&#39;t know if this is pretty straightforward to do or not. Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

p.s. located in the uk

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster

Live by the sword, Die by the sword.
    We all seek peace, but few of us will ever find it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Thanks for the tip but they only ship in the US and Puerto Rico and I am in the UK (c the ps in my original post)

Thanks for trying to help though

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    try looking here for the pinned topic on resources.

i recommend eBuyer for within the uk

look for a 7200rpm hard drive, preferably with an 8meg cache

the type of ram depends on what you have currently, do you know what speed of ram you have? e.g. 333MHz or PC2700?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by (>Zero Cool<)@18 June 2003 - 18:49
    I am hoping to add some extra storage space to my pc and some ram. Can anyone suggest what I should go for and where the best place to buy it is. I am looking for 512 ddr ram+ and a fairly large 80 gb + storage device. I am pretty new to the upgrading department so I don&#39;t know if this is pretty straightforward to do or not. Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

p.s. located in the uk
    If you&#39;re anywhere near Glasgow try out Priceless Computing.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Yep, 2nd gen is right, we really can&#39;t help ya unless you specify what type of DDR you have. i.e. its frequency and your slots

Make sure you know what type of RAM your mobo will accept before buying it.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Nightwolf@18 June 2003 - 21:20
    http://www.crucial.com/uk/index.asp
    i tend to shy away from crucial. the main problem i have with them is that they don&#39;t offer ddr ram with cas latency of 2. the best i can see for my board is 2.5

2.5 may be a bit better than 2 if you want to overclock your ram as fast as possibl, but for operating at standard speeds cas 2 has become pretty much the norm for ddr ram.

i use corsair, but there are quite a few manufacturers now who offer cas 2 ddr at good prices.

of course, whether Zero Cool can utilise cas 2 is dependent on whether he/she has cas 2 ram just now

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I just bought a new hard drive from ebuyer - arrived in three days, cheap as hell, what more do you want

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Mornin folks, before I start thanks a lot to all of you for getting back to me . This is the part where I start to show just how clueless I am about the Hardware side of things . I currently have 512 DDRRam (it says on the box 2 slots max memory 1 Gb, dunno if this helps ) To be honest, as you have probably gathered I have no idea what I am looking for and talking about beyond what I quite fancy having as an end result so if anyone has the patience to talk me through what I should be looking for/at it would be much appreciated. Thanks again to those who got back to me.

p.s. If I go and get something is it simply a case of slapping in the components or do I need to do anything else?

p.p.s Lamsey - I have heard some bad reports about Priceless, have you used them before and do you recommend them?

Cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast