Thread: Advice on news service speed

Hi all,this is my first post and im needing advice.I have just payed for an account with newsdemon.I have a 20 mb line and since i joined i cant get more than 400kbs down.The last 2 days its struggling to get 200kbs!!.I am using varied ports and have done a loopback test which looks ok.Has any one else had this problem or can give me some ideas on how to utilize my speed.

Ps i have been emailed a response saying i could be hitting a bottleneck.Even so i would expect to get more than 200kbs.I have reverted back to my isp newserver for the time being as i get full speed,and use the ither account for fills.If i cant get any sort of speed from newsdemon i think ill cancel.Any suugestions anyone please.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    tried using the max amount of connections that are available at newsdemon ?

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    maybe get the sp2 patchre thing that make 10 connections bigger

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by groggy View Post
    tried using the max amount of connections that are available at newsdemon ?
    Yes i have..

On a side note this morning i managed to get 900kbs .I think i have half a solution,i am in the uk and the server im using is in the US.Also at the time i used it this morning,their would of likely been less server connectios.Still open to suggestions.

To be honest i dont understand or know what that is.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Oluwa View Post
    Yes i have..

On a side note this morning i managed to get 900kbs .I think i have half a solution,i am in the uk and the server im using is in the US.Also at the time i used it this morning,their would of likely been less server connectios.Still open to suggestions.

To be honest i dont understand or know what that is.
    About the SP2 and connections. Forget it. Does not have anything to do with this problem.

Are there no EU servers you can use from Newsdemon?

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Although you didn't really spell out any troubleshooting steps per se, you do mention that your isp server is running well; you need to run bandwidth tests to various sites to narrow things down, you don't mention who (or what) your line is, just 20mb which is VERY fast If you are in the Uk and trying to utilize a us server, you need to find a test site on the other side of the pond, then a couple in the uk and on the continent. Your internet provider (or indeed this Newsdemon) may not have any dedication lines across the Atlantic, which may be the choking point.

Again, you need to collect a listing of bandwidth test sites around, and see what the throughput is between your location and those sites. FYI, many cross-pond news-servers (Giganews is an example) that have server plants both in the US and Europe, have dedicated Gigabit links between the systems, but in your case is probably better to find a server physically closer to where you are.

I get better throughput with things that are 'closer' (tracert reports minimal hops, delays, etc) internet wise, 'close' being a relative term, as a LOT of servers are located around Phoenix, AZ, over a thousand miles away but only 5-7 hops at 100-200ms delay. A bit high on the delay but servers on the east coast are 10 hops and double the delay. Going to Europe doubles the figures.

So you need to figure out 'where' on the internet you really 'stand'. Your ISP may have poor peering (probably doubtful), your area of the UK may have poor linkage, etc., although these days I'd say no. But you probably will get much better results with a service which has servers much 'closer' to you, internet wise if not physical.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    Although you didn't really spell out any troubleshooting steps per se, you do mention that your isp server is running well; you need to run bandwidth tests to various sites to narrow things down, you don't mention who (or what) your line is, just 20mb which is VERY fast If you are in the Uk and trying to utilize a us server, you need to find a test site on the other side of the pond, then a couple in the uk and on the continent. Your internet provider (or indeed this Newsdemon) may not have any dedication lines across the Atlantic, which may be the choking point.

Again, you need to collect a listing of bandwidth test sites around, and see what the throughput is between your location and those sites. FYI, many cross-pond news-servers (Giganews is an example) that have server plants both in the US and Europe, have dedicated Gigabit links between the systems, but in your case is probably better to find a server physically closer to where you are.

I get better throughput with things that are 'closer' (tracert reports minimal hops, delays, etc) internet wise, 'close' being a relative term, as a LOT of servers are located around Phoenix, AZ, over a thousand miles away but only 5-7 hops at 100-200ms delay. A bit high on the delay but servers on the east coast are 10 hops and double the delay. Going to Europe doubles the figures.

So you need to figure out 'where' on the internet you really 'stand'. Your ISP may have poor peering (probably doubtful), your area of the UK may have poor linkage, etc., although these days I'd say no. But you probably will get much better results with a service which has servers much 'closer' to you, internet wise if not physical.

Sound advice.

-bd

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    With your 20mbit line, your speed should be a lot greater. Even if you're pinging upwards of 150ms, you should still be able to max out your connection with 10 concurrent connections. You could also check to see what your Receive Window is at and possibly increase it to accommodate for the increased latency. Have you tried a speed test or do you know the maximum you're able to download?

http://www.speedtest.net

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Thank you for all the advice.I am still getting lousy speeds,these seem to be worse between 10 am till midnight time.Any hours in the early morning i have got up to 900kbs with my max 8 connections.Here is a speedtest i did last week,i regularly check the speed..

I will give it another week or so,see if there is a increase.Once again thanks for all the sound advice...

I just did a speedtest with giganews.The first one is on there main server...the second on their european server which should be faster.

Suffice to say i wont be joining them lol.
    Last edited by Oluwa; 07-15-2007 at 07:53 PM.