Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Is A Really Good Video Converter?

I need a good converter for turning avi files into mpg files that I can burn into video cds, I can't find one anywhere, all I found was a supposedly "easy avi converter" which took perfectly good movies and spent 4 hours converting it into corrupted junk that isn't worth watching never mind burning .. please I need your help

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    BANNED
    TMPGEnc

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    thanks

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Poster
    adthomp you think you could post a link where to get it?

<span style='color:blue'>Ladies and Gentlemen, John Frusciante</span>

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    BANNED
    its on the klite site, where every thing else is, other wise he would put up a link

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by monkfi5h@17 June 2003 - 11:28
    adthomp you think you could post a link where to get it?
    Main Site.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    What also a good program is is &#39;&#39; LSX-MPEG suite&#39;&#39; You can convert your avi file to a MPEG or to a svcd/vcd. But there a some troubles with the sound sometimes.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    A lot of people have asked how to go about making a Video CD, you know the thing “I’ve got my wedding video on the PC as an Avi file how do I put it on disc…” So I’ve decided to put together a basic guide using freely available software. The guide is not definitive so any other hints and tips you have pass them on so we can all learn a little. Can I just point out that I in no way condone the use of this guide to infringe any copyright laws anywhere in the world.

First the tools you’ll need for this guide………
    Virtual Dub………………… http://www.virtualdub.org/
    TMPGEnc……………………. http://www.tmpgenc.net/
    Nero Burning Software

Step 1. Create a Wav. File.

Install and run Virtual Dub. Hit File and then Open Video File.
    (If you get a box detailing VBR Audio stream detected this is fine click OK. If the file is Xvid it won’t open, simply skip this stage and go down to encoding with TMPGEnc.)
    Next Click Audio and Full Processing Mode. Hit Audio again then Conversion. Click next to 44100 Hz and then OK.
    Click File and locate Save WAV. Give the file a name and click Save (I always save to the Desktop for easy reference.) Virtual Dub will now create a WAV. Audio file.

It is not essential to do this first, you can encode without creating a Wav. File but I prefer this method for two reasons. Firstly it helps to avoid audio sync. problems (it won’t eliminate them completely if they already exist in the source file). Secondly it reduces the encoding time considerably.

Step 2. Encoding

Again install and run TMPGEnc (download this twice and save in a separate folder … I’ll explain later&#33.
    Tmpgnc should always start with the encoding wizard. Choose your format ( VideoCD- NTSC … PAL or NTSC Film ……… Pal always produces a better finished product but for those of you who prefer use NTSC .) Click Next.
    Where it says Video File, locate and enter the film/ file you wish to encode, the wizard will automatically put the same file in the Audio File box as well. You can proceed at this point, but those who made a Wav. File should put this in the Audio File box. Take a peek lower down the box and click on ASPECT RATIO and choose the aspect closest to the original film source… If its wide screen choose 16:9 etc.
    Once this is done click next and then next again. …Ignore the warning and click Yes.. We’ll split the film later to fit on to disc.
    Make a note of the Output file and amend if necessary. Make sure the box Start encoding immediately is ticked (we’ll do batch encoding another day) and click Ok.
    The encoding should now begin. Sit back and congratulate yourself and then make yourself a cup of coffee this isn’t a quick process. There is a handy timer, which will give you some idea of how long the process will take. If nothing happens but a message appears Processing Inverse Telescene don’t worry this is OK its just going to take a hell of a lot longer.

Those with Xvid files may find that the normal TMPGEnc settings do a poor job encoding these high quality files. The solution simple (now you’ll see why I advised you to download TMPGEnc twice).

1) Open TMPGEnc and press Cancel if Wizard pops up
    2) Go to Option->Environmental Setting...->VFAPI plug-in
    3) Adjust the plug-in priorities (this is done by right clicking on
    the plug-in and choosing Higher priority as many times as
    necessary) to match the following:

DirectShow Multimedia File Reader.......3
    AVI2(OpenDML) File Reader................1
    AVI VFW compatibility Reader.............0
    CyberLink MPEG-2 Decoder.................0
    Microsoft MPEG-1 Decoder.................0
    Wave File Reader..............................0
    BMP/PPM/TGA/JPG File Reader...........-2
    DVD2AVI Project File Reader 1.76+.....-2*
    TMPGEnc Project File Reader 2.58......-2*

4) Press OK
    5) Now you can load your XviD AVI into TMPGEnc just like any other
    AVI and encode as you wish.

Don’t worry if not all the settings indicated above appear in your version of TMPGEnc just set those that are present to those shown. Make sure you make a note of the original settings, as you’ll need these for ordinary Avi’s. Or if you’re a clever dickey like me.. Have two version of TMPGEnc one with Xvid settings and one with the ordinary settings.

You should now have a fully working mpeg file.

Step 3 Cutting/Splitting The File.

The file you now have will in 99% of the cases too big to fit on to one CD so it needs to be cut. This can be done prior to encoding if so wished (remember you’ll need two wav. files if you do. Part 1 and Part 2).
    You can split the file with Virtual Dub….. Here’s how using this nifty guide courtesy of the Wacky_ One

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 11:30 pm Post subject: splitting

If you are just trying to split a large avi/divx movie, this has been the easiest method I have found:: Splitting with VirtualDub Use v.1_4_10 or 1_4_9 (or 1.4D or earlier) as follows: 1)Load your original (DivX-compressed or otherwise) .AVI into VirtualDub 2) Set BOTH "Video" and "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copying" 3) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Set Selection Start" 4) Move slider to approximate halfway point 5) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Go to next keyframe" 6) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Set Selection End&#39; 7) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save as AVI" - Save as a new filename (e.g. "Movie1of2.avi"). From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Set Selection Start" 9) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Move to End" 10) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Set Selection End" 11) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save as AVI" - Save as a new filename (e.g. "Movie2of2.avi"). Btw, if you are trying to JOIN movies of the exact format, do this in Virtualdub............. 1) Load the first file into VirtualDub 2) Then select "Append .AVI" (from the "File" dropdown menu) and load your second file 3) Set both "Video" and "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copying" 4) Save with a new filename_________________Awww, the simple things in life...............

There you go that was painless wasn’t it………
    If you wish to cut the finished Mpeg instead do this in TMPGEnc
    Cancel the Wizard and hit File and then Mpeg Tools-Merge and Cut- Drop down the file menu in TYPE and click on Mpeg1- Video CD- Click ADD and load the Mpeg you want to split-Double click on the file .The next box should look similar to the one below.

Edit

First hit Play and then Pause or else it wont work so good. (If it freezes check the Problems sections below.)
    1. Drag the bar to where the clip should start
    2. Hit Start
    3. Drag the bar to where the clip should end
    4. Hit End
    5. OK
    6. Click Browse and find a home for the first part of the film and give it a name……. Erm &#33; Part One springs to mind. Then click Run.

Repeat the steps above for the second half of the film starting from the end point of the first disc. The second part takes longer so don’t worry.

That’s it you now have your film ready for burning.

If you use Nero follow this handy guide on www.vcdhelp.com/

http://www.vcdhelp.com/nero.htm

If I’ve missed anything out or your unsure about anything ask away. If you can improve on this guide then please do. It’s an open house (I can always delete it if I don’t like it)

Before I go a special mention to those fine fellow at VCD Help for all the help they have provided me with in the past, and to all the fine iMeshers who continually share.

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    That was just what is was trying to say.

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    good post, Spook

nice little tutorial there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast