Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting into passworded PC

Hi, friend of mine has been given an old second hand pc from a local school and it still has a legit xp on it. But it is passworded for the old operator. Is there a way I can get in and then delete that profile and add him as a profile?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    get yourself a copy of hiren's boot cd and burn it to a cd. There's a program on there called "Active Password Changer 3.0.420" that can erase that password.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    burn this to a cd. boot from it, and follow the default prompts to get to the part where it will blank out the admin password. Then save it, reboot, and boom, no administrator password.
    http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    muyoso's Avatar The Avatar Stays.
    Or just wipe the drive and install XP anew on it . . . . Which is what I would do anyways. Unless of course you are trying to recover some school related items from the computer like the entire grading system software.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    Or just wipe the drive and install XP anew on it . . . . Which is what I would do anyways.
    But I want to keep the "legit" xp on it.

Ok so I have Hirens Boot cd, now I burn that to cd and put that in the cd drawer and restart the PC. What do I do then? How do I find the prog I want on the cd in DOS as I have never worked inn DOS.
    All help appreciated.
    Last edited by SilverDales; 07-17-2007 at 06:58 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by trad3r View Post
    burn this to a cd. boot from it, and follow the default prompts to get to the part where it will blank out the admin password. Then save it, reboot, and boom, no administrator password.
    http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

Will this work on XP/2000?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverDales View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    Or just wipe the drive and install XP anew on it . . . . Which is what I would do anyways.
    But I want to keep the "legit" xp on it.

Ok so I have Hirens Boot cd, now I burn that to cd and put that in the cd drawer and restart the PC. What do I do then? How do I find the prog I want on the cd in DOS as I have never worked inn DOS.
    All help appreciated.
    when you boot up with the cd in the tray you will be prompted to boot from hard drive or boot from hiren's boot cd. Choose boot from cd.

Then you'll have a menu of about 6-7 items > choose more or next to see the next page of options. Choose password tools. The program I used is called active password changer. The first thing you choose is search existing databases option. Let me know if you need more assistance.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Thanks for your help Backlash. Right I got to look at the pc and it goes through the windows start up then ctrl+alt+delete screen then the windows is starting up screen and after that you get a plain blue screen with a Windows Log On box showing Username and password boxes.
    When I loaded Hirens disc I navigated to active password changer and followed the prompts to existing database etc. It showed 6 users, the first is Admin and had two columns showing a cross in current and change to plus in yellow was "clear users password" and a cross next to it. I clicked on "y" and then "Esc" to exit. When I restarted nothing had changed.I tried this several times to no avail
    What am I doing wrong?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    chillincool's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    There's probably a menu option to save. Look and see.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by chillincool View Post
    There's probably a menu option to save. Look and see.
    This is where I'm confused cos after I click on Y then Enter it says it has been changed but then there is no save and exit link anywhere and believe me I have looked. Just Esc, and that takes you back a page and so on.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast