Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: uTorrent 1.7 stable released

sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadWingKnigh View Post
    Have you talked to the uTorrent devs to get your concerns addressed?
    Good question I'd be curious to hear what the UTorrent staff have to say about this one might have to go have a look at the forums.

2. News (Archive)   -   #82
    willy101's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    here's what I found on a private tracker forum about this release
    Hope this helps

Is it allowed here?
    NO

Why?

uTorrent 1.7, NO other torrents going other then 1 linux iso torrent, no other applications running (actually running in wine), separate dedicated IP = Mediasentry IP hits 36.

Halite, same torrent, same system = 0 Media sentry IP hits.

Every version > 1.6.1 is Bittorrent Inc., which is directly in partnership with the movie studios. Viacom Inc.'s Paramount Pictures, News Corp.'s 20th Century Fox, Lionsgate, Palm Pictures and Kadokawa Pictures USA etc etc .

In fact versions > 1.7 don't even have the same developer doing it. It's all handled now by Bittorrent Inc's development. The original author (up to 1.6.1) is no longer even part of the project.

Right from uTorrent's FAQ

"Who makes µTorrent?

Ludvig Strigeus (ludde) is the original author and former maintainer of µTorrent.

BitTorrent Inc's developers are the current maintainers of µTorrent. "

Will it ever be allowed?

NO

If your in doubt trrace these IP's that were blocked from outgoing through my firewall with uTorrent 1.7

Link to utorrent 1.6.1:

http://download.utorrent.com/1.6.1/utorrent.exe

3. News (Archive)   -   #83
    Actually, it provides no legitimate information backing up the bans.
    It provides no proof that there is any information being exchanged.
    It provides no proof that any sensitive data is being exchanged.

None of these posts by detractors provide any proof to back up the claims that uT is actually doing anything wrong. It's just rumours, tinfoil hat posts and bandwagons.

4. News (Archive)   -   #84
    DH-Sysop
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadWingKnigh View Post
    Actually, it provides no legitimate information backing up the bans.
    It provides no proof that there is any information being exchanged.
    It provides no proof that any sensitive data is being exchanged.

None of these posts by detractors provide any proof to back up the claims that uT is actually doing anything wrong. It's just rumours, tinfoil hat posts and bandwagons.
    LOL!

The fact of the matter is we are just letting you guys know our reasons for banning utorrent 1.7+, you can still use it if you want. Our reasons are ours weather we have access to more information or "hard proof" doesn't really matter, we banned it on our sites because of what we know, other sites with similar information are doing the same. Why are we banning it? To protect our users and our sites.

It's as simple as that, you can continue using it as long as you want, you just might not be able to do it on a bunch of private trackers. If you don't use the sites that are banning it then don't worry about it!

I only came in here to explain why sites are banning it and to warn the users not to use it. You can believe that we have our reasons for doing it or not, I really don't care anymore. I've gave enough reasons not to use the client, I'm not going to play with the ignorant and keep explaining. Happy Torrenting! I'm out!

@willy101 - Thats the post on the DH forums that I'm representing, I posted it earlier a few pages back.

5. News (Archive)   -   #85
    I don't know where people get the impressino that Bram were an "evil" guy - he really isn't. As someone who's been a member of the BitTorrent developer team and who designed the previous BitTorrent logo as well as the previous BitTorrent web site (before BitTorrent Inc. was founded and took over the project), I had a few longer chat sessions with Bram, in which we talked about personal histories and exchanged social-political views. From what I can tell, for a guy who's trying to make a business, Bram is as nice as you can get - even less evil than Google, I'd say.

PS: In case anyone wonders, I never had nor currently have a business relationship with Bram, BitTorrent Inc., or any other entity involved with BitTorrent. The works I did for the BitTorrent project was for free.
    Last edited by henrypijames; 07-17-2007 at 01:52 AM.

6. News (Archive)   -   #86
    LL Owner
    I have now edited this post, as I have now had a chance to test 1.7.1 myself, and can find no evidence to backup the claim that this version reports anything to anyone.

The temp ban has now been lifted on my site.
    Last edited by merlin05; 07-18-2007 at 12:09 PM.

7. News (Archive)   -   #87
    You could also spin that round and say theres no hard evidence to discredit that it's not a reporting tool either.
    One wireshark log coming right up.
    http://depthstrike.com/~dwknight/wir...-utorrent.pcap
    Not one of the IP addresses in the above post came up during the capture.

8. News (Archive)   -   #88
    Smoovious's Avatar Member
    Personally, DWK... the line I found the funniest in all of this was "we banned it on our sites because of what we know"...

Which logically means, they've banned it for absolutely nothing...

-- Smoovious
    _______________________________________ _/azz /|/|aster _____
    µTorrent Support Team

9. News (Archive)   -   #89
    Poster
    I hate when people muddy the waters by pretending there's two sides to a story when there's not.

1) First of all, note that of the most respected and skilled torrent admins and coders: djGrrr, Retro, Zlo, even Oink/TMT, none of them spout this bullshit about uTorrent being spyware.

2) Firon, a developer for uTorrent, is also an admin on HDBits, where uTorrent is obviously a recommended client. I eagerly await ACiD's "proof" that HDBits is simply a front for the MPAA.

3) The fact that these people are using PG2 to prove their point ought to be self-discrediting. Using PG2 at all is generally a sure sign of incompetence.

4) Examine their conspiracy theory for a second: According to them, instead of the MPAA going after the hundreds of thousands of people openly publishing their IPs by using public trackers, the MPAA decided it would be simpler and more cost-effective to redesign a client for the purpose of ... mining IPs.

As sk0t found out, when the MPAA is after your site, you'll know about it.
    Last edited by Roark; 07-17-2007 at 03:03 AM.

10. News (Archive)   -   #90
    Dr_Green_Thumb's Avatar Mangina BT Rep: +4
    im using it and its great it has a PM button straight to the CIA

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast