Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Dvd To Buy - Or + ?

Like nothing is ever simple - I want to install a DVD drive on my system - I'm thinking drag out the old LG CD writer and install some flash beast

Then I see there is more than one type of DVD + & -

So my question for the panel today is - Do I really need a DVD that handles both types ?

If I only need one type then which one ?

I will probably use DVD for data storage - the huge disk capacity is actually my main reason for wanting one - so the most stable system for writing to disc is probably the one I'm after.......

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BritishICE's Avatar Poster
    It would be good in the sense of compatibility to have a drive that handles both types. Both formats have no problems with data storage. There are minor differences between the formats that mostly deal with video and not data. Why not get the Sony DRU-510A ?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Bizarrely that is the EXACT model I have been looking at !

Got any racing tips

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Very Large Member
    If you are in the UK,SVP are doing a good deal on the new pioneer +/- dvd writer here.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Thanks for that - I am a tiny bit nervous of OEM stuff because without the instructions you have to know what you're doing !

However I guess I can always look on the manufacturers web site.....

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Very Large Member
    You wont need the instructions anyway mate.Its just the same as fitting a CD drive,no drivers needed or setting up to do.Ive got one on order to replace my philips DVD+ drive.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Here's another one that does both +and -

http://www.lgeus.com/Product/CD/GSA_4040b.asp

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    That one looks good too ! Thanks

Gee, I was hoping for simplicity, one machine made by one manufacturer sold by one outlet - now it looks like I will have to make a choice !

the horror, the horror.........

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    If money is not an object. Get the new SONY DVD burner ($350.00). It features + and - .

But for about 1/2 of the price, you are probably going to go with the + rather than the -. That's what most people are going with.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by Spindulik@25 June 2003 - 12:01
    If money is not an object. Get the new SONY DVD burner ($350.00). It features + and - .

But for about 1/2 of the price, you are probably going to go with the + rather than the -. That's what most people are going with.
    Well this is not the case where I am. The -R is sold more here. Also that LG unit I mentioned above is both - and + for less money than the Sony.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast