Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So me and the familia are going to the US for a vacation

tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    Obviously.. Can't miss going there.. Times Square is the one with the Virgin Music Store and MTV studio and stuff isn't it?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by tralalala View Post
    Obviously.. Can't miss going there.. Times Square is the one with the Virgin Music Store and MTV studio and stuff isn't it?
    Yes. and the big noodle can soup near where the ball drops on new year. The old Toys 'R Us store there even had a ferris wheel inside their premises but i think they closed down already. I personally hate times square. Too much tourists. But your family should love it
    "However awkwardly they might navigate the outside world, over the board they were killers." - NYT

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    OK.. Well, I guess it's time to plan what we do each and every day......

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    FSC [Fight Club] BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by DefianceX View Post
    If you're going to Ellis island, I'm assuming you're also stopping by the Liberty Statue then? If you want to be cheap, a great tip would be to just take the Staten Island ferry roundtrip which is free and you'll still have a nice view of both Ellis and and the statue. The upside is that the roundtrip itself is less than an hour and wont consume most of your day and its free!

After that, I would strongly suggest taking a stroll at the Brooklyn Bridge. IMO, it's the most breathtaking place in NYC and again you dont have to pay anything. If you want to walk all the way to the Brooklyn side, there's a nice little pizza restaurant you can stop by called "Grimaldi's". Also, a nice little spot called "Brooklyn Promenade" is not far off from the restaurant where a nice panoramic view of Manhattan can be had. If not, you can always just walk halfway and admire the views in the middle of the bridge.

Other musts:
    Empire state building (34th st around Madison Avenue)

Central Park (starting from 59th up to 110th st)

South Street Seaport + Ground Zero 9/11 (Lower Manhattan; somewhat near where the Ellis island boats dock)

Museums; Metropolitan museum of art & American Museum of Natural History (both of which are around the upper west side of Manhattan)

Rockefeller Plaza

Times Square (of course)

Roosevelt Island Tram (only costs as much as a single subway ride)
    Very nice recommendations. I would also recommend them.Personally in NY you gotta go 2 china town and 125th Harlem. Bootlegs galore! And if your in2 the night life Greenwich village is the spot.

I actually did the trip you are doing a few years back. NY, Baltimore, DC, Virginia, etc.....I had a grip of friends everywhere so they showed me around. I was out there for 1.5 months tho
    -Dont worry about a thing....i was on West coast time while there and would get to my friends house deep in the Bronx at 3-4am and never had a problem. The subway and buses are top notch and easy to use. Like DefianceX says....get a free map (available everywhere) and study it a bit....
    Proud Member of:

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by DV8type View Post
    [Very nice recommendations. I would also recommend them.Personally in NY you gotta go 2 china town and 125th Harlem. Bootlegs galore! And if your in2 the night life Greenwich village is the spot.
    Those areas are horrible for family. On the flipside they are great if you are out with the fellas.

125th St. is where I got the R Kelly tape when I didn't even what would be on the tape.
    The Village is excellent excellent for nightlife and meeting nice women. It has some great chill spots.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    phrenzy's Avatar Baked BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Nope, 4 days there, then Boston, NC, Virginia (all over the place), DC, then back to NY.

3 weeks
    I'm in Virginia, PM me if you want some Ideas where to go................Williamsburg area but I lived in NORVA for 20 years.
    Last edited by phrenzy; 07-19-2007 at 04:02 AM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by phrenzy View Post
    Nope, 4 days there, then Boston, NC, Virginia (all over the place), DC, then back to NY.

3 weeks
    I'm in Virginia, PM me if you want some Ideas where to go................
    Are you in NORVA?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    FSC [Fight Club] BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    Those areas are horrible for family. On the flipside they are great if you are out with the fellas.

Ahhh, so true, although he could sneek out for a bit

During the day its not THAT bad tho....
    Proud Member of:

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

I used to live in Harlem back in the day. When I visit now, I'm always pleasantly surprised at what I see. I must say their revitalization process is going extremely well . My friend bought a condo in a newly built residential complex along 117th and Madison and you'd be surprised how expensive the maintenance fee is. Of course, critics claim that its just a masquerade for letting the whites move back in.

Anyway, I still have my guard up when I walk there at night.
    "However awkwardly they might navigate the outside world, over the board they were killers." - NYT

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by DefianceX View Post

I used to live in Harlem back in the day. When I visit now, I'm always pleasantly surprised at what I see. I must say their revitalization process is going extremely well . My friend bought a condo in a newly built residential complex along 117th and Madison and you'd be surprised how expensive the maintenance fee is. Of course, critics claim that its just a masquerade for letting the whites move back in.

Anyway, I still have my guard up when I walk there at night.
    This same gentrification is going on is DC. Part of it though is due to the housing boom.

Property tax for a DC rowhouse will run over $6000. These are on less than a quarter acre of land in many cases.

My property tax in under $4000, I have 1/2 acre, and have a decent sized home.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast