Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 Reasons Not To Be Afraid Of The Riaa

Poster
    Originally posted by HeavyMetalParkingLot+20 June 2003 - 15:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (HeavyMetalParkingLot &#064; 20 June 2003 - 15:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Paul@20 June 2003 - 13:38
    1) RIAA is an American organisation. They have absolutely no juristiction outside the USA.
    But what everyone seems to forget is that the ones that the RIAA represent sell albums in all these countries. RIAA is part of the package. This gives them a mighty big foot in the door.

Unfortunatly, these countries governments aren&#39;t going to say "but our people want their free music, so they will have it" when it comes down to certain "contributions" whether monetary or otherwise. Hence anti-p2p laws can begin appearing.[/b][/quote]
    Not in my Country . There would have to be a reforendom on the issue of the write to back up or copy owned material. It also incroaches on a similiar law in Canada that says as long as all equipment was purchased in Canada then any and all signals can be trapped because here we the people own the air waves unlike the U.S. where the sender of the signal owns the signal. And so, it&#39;s legal to download. Nobody hear is gonna spend 10-13 million on the question of "Should Canadians give up their exsisting write of ownership of the air waves." They wouldn&#39;t have a job the next term and the vote would be no anyway. Sorry but the rights of Canadians don&#39;t get shopped around like yours do in and out of legal changes every 24 hrs when a buisness with money snaps it&#39;s fingers. Our writes are ours and if you understood Canadian law better you would see why your comparisons to the norm in the U.S. can not apply here....Also the CRIA has no power accept to send me a letter saying please do not download copywrited material as it hurts the artists and everyone involved and that would be a canvassed letter to all because nobody hear has the write to spy, and our providers can not give out our names and info due to privacey restictions from my contract with them and even bigger restrictions from the Federal Privacey act that all buisnesses must adhere to . there said and done don&#39;t believe , do some reading then B)

2. File Sharing   -   #112
    I&#39;d like to be able to use the proxy list that is posted in the ES5 forums but they are http proxies and the Socs2http program is not only sharware but you have to install some socsifier or some other damn thing. I don&#39;t understand how to make the Kazaa capture thing work either.

Voodoohippie

3. File Sharing   -   #113
    Originally posted by spengler@6 July 2003 - 16:15
    The RIAA is an organisation set up to help protect the rights of artists of many areas, not only in music.
    :x

Ahem... Are they protecting the rights of the artists (who get on average maybe 1-2% of the purchase price of a CD), or those who OWN the RIGHTS of said artists (who get an obtuse piece of the green pie)??? If artists were getting the share they truly deserve, you know... I would buy a lot more music. If I had a way of sending a dollar to every ARTIST whose music I download, I guarantee you that I&#39;d send at least a few bucks out there, into the hands of those who create the music.

Ok get this picture... think of the millions of dollars the Rolling Stones, for example, have raked in over the years. Now, if those millions are even a 5% cut of total record sales, you start to see how truly monstrous the s at the tops of the record companies have become. You sell your soul to make a deal with the devil for a 5% cut off of what he makes from you? Screw that, man. Keep your soul, go indy&#33; It&#39;s the only way. I&#39;ll bet you not a single independent artist feels as though their rights are being protected by the RIAA. You ask your favorite artists... do they believe that the RIAA should be pursuing this course of action?

I&#39;m not ripping off the artist. I&#39;m ripping off the record companies who are ripping off the artist. This has nothing to do with the artist, who I support by paying to go see bands I enjoy play live. If you support the scene, you support the artist. The rights of artists have very little to do with what&#39;s really going on here. It&#39;s a bid for money and power. And I have ranted enough for one evening Thank you.

:beerchug:

4. File Sharing   -   #114
    Poster
    I really enjoyed your post it was well thought out and intelligent. I just wanted to say that before someone made it lose all meaning by posting something like "wasn&#39;t there 10 reasons before?" *

cheers*

5. File Sharing   -   #115
    Originally posted by 4play@27 July 2003 - 21:15
    i dont think classical music is copyrighted.

i know in europe the copyright only lasts 50 years so
    Ok... classical music itself is not copyrighted. However, certain music publishers own copyrights on &#39;Editions&#39; of the sheet music, just as record publishers own copyrights on recordings of professional performances. Thus, if you download Beethoven&#39;s 9th symphony by the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra (published by Deutsche Grammaphon), you are in violation of copyright law, whereas if you download a recording of your cousin&#39;s violin recital you are probably not.

6. File Sharing   -   #116
    Originally posted by Paul@20 June 2003 - 13:38
    1) RIAA is an American organisation. They have absolutely no juristiction outside the USA.

2) Potential targets of the RIAA are only people who download and upload several GB per DAY.

3) Even if you are one of the few who download so much music, then Kazaa Lite has an option to hide your list of shared files. It will then look like you share nothing at all.

4) There are millions of people in the USA alone that participate in file-sharing. Everytime the RIAA is in the news, they have &#39;caught&#39; only a handfull of people (only 0 to 5 people per month&#33. So your changes of getting &#39;caught&#39; are less than 1 to a million. Or virtually 0 when one of the reasons above applies.

5) Those few people that got &#39;caught&#39; usually only received a warning letter. There are only a few cases known of people who actually got a fine. The highest one was &#036;7,500 for some student that was sharing 1 MILLION mp3 files.

Conclusion: happy filesharing to everybody
    Paul that avatar is making some of these member&#39;s *ping*&#33; you know what i mean. Not tryin to be perverted or anything like that.

7. File Sharing   -   #117
    Originally posted by Grimlock@11 September 2003 - 21:31
    I think people need to start finding artists who put their music on line for free right now and spreading the word about the good ones. It&#39;s time to find some alternatives. I think it would make a great addition to this forum to have a verified free artists section endorsing sites and artists that are releasing good quality stuff on klite and all over the net. I mean the only reason most people like "hits" are cause they hear them on the radio so much. It&#39;s time to stop being brainwashed.

That&#39;s a very good idea Has anyone started working on this?

Time to look in the music section.

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

8. File Sharing   -   #118
    Originally posted by Paul_NFFC+20 June 2003 - 15:54--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Paul_NFFC &#064; 20 June 2003 - 15:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Paul@20 June 2003 - 14:38
    The highest one was &#036;7,500 for some student that was sharing 1 MILLION mp3 files.

1million 1mp3s&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Holy f**ken shit 1 mil. I thought i had a lot of files. Cough 50 gigs of trance cough

9. File Sharing   -   #119
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    DJ I was just about to tell u to come here and read but I see u found your way.

10. File Sharing   -   #120
    Auburn_Tygaz's Avatar Member
    I’ve been reading over these posts for months and now finally have the some free time to add my 2cents to this issue. It humors me a little to read how some of these K++ users who post to this forum and some appear so overly paranoid sometimes.

Anyway, I’ve seen lots of queries in some of these posts where a lot of filesharers are inquiring about PC security. While it is useful to utilize software progs such as firewalls, proxies, etc., the true wild card through all of this WILL be the ISPs. I check out that list of court orders issued to some of these providers and there are still a LOT that are unlisted, in particular, the ones that are also telephone providers (such as mine).

ISPs will have to do more in the upcoming years to help ‘privatize’ their customers from Big Brother RIAA. I work for Verizon Online DSL tech support and I’m finding a disturbing pattern when I troubleshoot some of their customers. Quick Internet for dummies lesson: most of you out there probably already know that residential broadband users receive their IPs dynamically (or automatically & randomly) from what is known as the DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) server. Theoretically, dynamic IP shuffling is supposed to be like drawing a number from a hat, meaning that practically you’re getting a different one each time. So basically any one computer should receive a different IP address @ least every 24hrs IF NOT every time you log back on to the web. How this relates to filesharing is that this makes it a little more difficult for our ass-sniffing nemesis to try and pin any one computer to a specific IP address.

All Verizon IPs start with the octet of 4.x.x.x, I’m noticing that customer’s IP’s are not changing like true dynamic configurations and their IP’s appear to be almost static (non-changing, leased IP), which Verizon reserves for their business consumers’ accounts. I was viewing an escalated issue one customer had sometime approx 4 days ago, and we checked his IP to see if a connection was established, the customer had the same IP as was left on the account notes 4 days ago. Some brainiac called in Tuesday wanting to know why his IP hasn’t changed in almost 3 weeks. Needless to say it left me with hunched shoulders. With my ISP, they have us setup behind a true router at the central office which always broadcasts 192.168.1.1 in my network stack whether I’m behind my router at HOME or not; unless I’m browsing the web, which then a real network IP is broadcasted. (For the benefit of the novice a 192.168.x.x IP address indicates a small private network that is connected by a router or a switch.) This is something they’ve been doing for about the past two & a half years now, so it’s not something new they’ve just started because of the mp3 crackdown. Only, however, when I’m actively using the Internet is my IP displayed. Our IPs rotate every 24 hrs if not every other Internet session after rebooting the PC. Currently I’m trying to locate more anonymous proxies so that I can only broadcast a dummy IP always.

So from what I understood when I talked to them, it’s a little harder to pinpoint someone specifically on their network unless a person is downloading files as if the Internet will be gone tomorrow; and that kinda helped put my mind at ease a bit.

I notice now that K++ updates their prog quite regularly now, which is even more helpful for us. Unified as the filesharing community, I think it is in all our best interest to spread the word about this program since it is more likely to be the ‘last man standing’ prog after they prosecute whatever number of KMD users, thus instilling enough paranoia & fear in remaining users to make them abandon it. You’d be surprised how many don’t know about K++. A girl I work with was talking about the situation like she was going to make one last roundup of music with KMD at the O.K. Corral & then call it quits. Turns out I had to educate her about K++. Don’t know if she will heed my advice or not but that just goes to show that if more people knew about it, then it would definitely help our cause somewhat.

From what I’ve been reading and hearing, most peoples’ reasons for turning to file sharing is because of the outrageous CD prices. That wasn’t too much of an issue for me as I was able to shop around at various places in my area and purchase CDs for about &#036;4-6 less than what most normally pay. I DO agree that prices are kinda outrageous considering the REAL manufacturers cost to make a CD, but hey, let’s face it, we live in a capitalistic society that’s ruled by Dollar Almighty, Government and Big Corporations; that’s just the old fashioned American way.

My ordeal with filesharing goes like this; a little over 3 years ago someone broke into my car and stole my entire collection of 200+ CDs, some which I had since 1994.That marked the second time that my CD collection was stolen from me, and I said to myself & I, from that day forward, as long as I was able to do something about it, I refused to buy another CD again. Three years and counting and I’m still living up to my word.

I’m gonna end on this note, f%&#33;# the RIAA, MPAA, NCAA, NAACP, or whoever has a problem with filesharing becauz it don’t stop here. Filesharing is here to stay in the present, filesharing will be in our futures, so all they can do is like it, love it, and LIVE WITH IT….2 fingaz yall.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast