Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For Cable Modem Users

brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    If u leave your computer on 24-7 like me and your on a cable broadband connection.............You should reset your modem every once in awhile.

If there is not a reset button on the back of your modem,then shut-off your computer and unplug the power to you modem for a few minutes then plug back in and reboot.

When you do this it recycles your modem.......causing your modem to remake it's connectins to your computer and service provider.

I do this every so often when my connection is sluggish and it helps.

Peace brotherdoobie B)

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    huh? That's all in your head my friend. No such thing occurs. Rebooting your PC will help it run more effectively though.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    will the isp still know how much u d/l if you restart the modem because of the cap thing i can only d/l 6 Gb

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by Shareef@20 June 2003 - 18:27
    will the isp still know how much u d/l if you restart the modem because of the cap thing i can only d/l 6 Gb
    nah it wont reset how much you've downloaded

if simply switching off your modem for a few seconds was a way of getting round any limits then the limits would be pretty pointless as every1 would be doing it

just get an ISP with no limit cuz limits are gay

fuck Derby County

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by harrycary@20 June 2003 - 12:04
    huh? That's all in your head my friend. No such thing occurs. Rebooting your PC will help it run more effectively though.
    Hey Harry..........I'm afraid you are wrong my friend.......It does exactly what I said.
    Just Google it if you think it's in my head ..........lol

Peace brotherdoobie

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    brotherdoobie - you are correct sir. Every now and then you need to give it a kick and re-boot the modem - just like your computer.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Sorry guys "resetting" a cable modem has no affect on data transfer. The only time it is even necessary is when you are having problems with it.

When the power is disconnected from any device with a microprocessor[for a few minutes], it will "reset" itself to how that micro was originally programmed. Problems occur due to an anomaly called "microprocessor lock-up."
    While there are firmware updates for some brands of cable modems they often aren't necessary unless instructed by your cable company to do so. And even then, it likely will have nothing to do with data throughput.

Rebooting a PC helps by restarting the O/S, installing drivers and freeing up memory. A cable modem does not have any software for this to occur.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Originally posted by harrycary@23 June 2003 - 06:35
    Sorry guys "resetting" a cable modem has no affect on data transfer. The only time it is even necessary is when you are having problems with it.

When the power is disconnected from any device with a microprocessor[for a few minutes], it will "reset" itself to how that micro was originally programmed. Problems occur due to an anomaly called "microprocessor lock-up."
    While there are firmware updates for some brands of cable modems they often aren't necessary unless instructed by your cable company to do so. And even then, it likely will have nothing to do with data throughput.

Rebooting a PC helps by restarting the O/S, installing drivers and freeing up memory. A cable modem does not have any software for this to occur.
    I am verry sorry Harry, but the original poster is exactly Right, I wiork for a Cable ISP, and yes the modem do have buil in hardware and software on them that stores IP's and the mac addresse of the device it is hooked up to. When this bridging table becomes full it cause the modem to slow the rate that it transfers information, and eventually it's ability to Pull an IP at all. The software in the modem will aslo hang (must be made by Microsoft) requiring a reset.

* Note a proper reset is done by unplegging the modem from the power source and leaving it disconnected for atleast 45 seconds (this is the same for hubs or routers) having the computer powered down. Plug the modem back in, wait for the cable/sync light to come on solid, turn the computer back on.

Good Tip brother

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Todd - Thank you for reaffirming what I and a few others knew all along.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Well, that may be true for some cable modems.

I use Cox communications and utilize a Toshiba modem. It never came with any software and my ISP does not povide software upon installation.

I know of several small businesses that utilize the very same modem and ISP. They never have had to "reboot" or install any such software.

Not to argue with you but it sounds like we're both right.

Share on...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast