Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Building a comp, need your suggestions.

  1. #1
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119047 - CASE
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817103933- POWER SUPPLY
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131096 - Mother board
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103773 - PROCESSOR
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227169 - RAM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148140 - HARD DRIVE
    http://www.newegg.com/product/Produc...82E16814130082 - VIDEO CARD
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136119 - DVD BURNER
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136083 - DVD DRIVE
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102010 - SOundcard

    This is the desktop i'm thinking of giving my sister. Need a reccomendation for a heatsink, she's probably going to use it for heavy gaming so if you have any suggestions to change, be my guest.

    Surprisingly, this was only $1100 (including shipping and handling).

    **updated list
    Last edited by camelfilters; 07-18-2007 at 04:20 PM.

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    austin, tx
    Posts
    3,588
    Quote Originally Posted by camelfilters View Post
    she's probably going to use it for heavy gaming
    i hope u mean mild gaming with that mb & vid crd?
    Alamo Drafthouse!

    Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by camelfilters View Post
    she's probably going to use it for heavy gaming
    i hope u mean mild gaming with that mb & vid crd?
    nope heavy gaming, as i said, if you have any suggestion please feel free to just say, instead of just hoping lol. i won't get angry =\

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7,734
    Ditch that psu and get a corsair, 520 watt should be adequate. I'd also get rid of the VGA cooler, as the stock 8800 cooler is very quiet unless you've got the card madly OC'd to where the fan has to be running at 100% constantly. With that said, you'll have a bit more cash to put towards a better mobo even something like this : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131096

    Edit: Cpu cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185125

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park View Post
    Ditch that psu and get a corsair, 520 watt should be adequate. I'd also get rid of the VGA cooler, as the stock 8800 cooler is very quiet unless you've got the card madly OC'd to where the fan has to be running at 100% constantly. With that said, you'll have a bit more cash to put towards a better mobo even something like this : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131096

    Edit: Cpu cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185125
    oo alright thanks.

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    9,810
    I'd question the need to replace the stock cpu cooler. The cooler supplied with the cpu should be sufficient, and you run the risk of invalidating your warranty by using a third party product. Check out the standard product first, you can easily replace it later if the results aren't satisfactory.

    I agree with LP about the PSU though, you really must drop the Rosewill PSU.
    Here's an alternative from Antec if you want to keep the price down.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817103933

    Why do you want a DVD burner AND a DVD reader?
    I can virtually guarantee she won't be copying one dvd directly to another, so there's little point in having both. Dump the reader and get a sound card instead:

    If she's going to be using it for heavy gaming, you will want a proper sound card, the onboard codec will use too much CPU power and probably make games choppy. You need a card that supports at least EAX Advanced HD 3.0.
    A low cost option:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102010

    You realise you haven't got monitor, keyboard and mouse in there?
    Last edited by lynx; 07-18-2007 at 09:33 AM.
    .
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    I'd question the need to replace the stock cpu cooler. The cooler supplied with the cpu should be sufficient, and you run the risk of invalidating your warranty by using a third party product. Check out the standard product first, you can easily replace it later if the results aren't satisfactory.

    I agree with LP about the PSU though, you really must drop the Rosewill PSU.
    Here's an alternative from Antec if you want to keep the price down.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817103933

    Why do you want a DVD burner AND a DVD reader?
    I can virtually guarantee she won't be copying one dvd directly to another, so there's little point in having both. Dump the reader and get a sound card instead:

    If she's going to be using it for heavy gaming, you will want a proper sound card, the onboard codec will use too much CPU power and probably make games choppy. You need a card that supports at least EAX Advanced HD 3.0.
    A low cost option:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102010

    You realise you haven't got monitor, keyboard and mouse in there?
    thanks for your suggestion, and i know, she already has monitors and keyboards and what not. i could shell out 20$ for a dvd drive. my budget isn't really a problem right now. the max budget for this desktop would be $1500 and i'm about 200-300$ away from that so i'm fine.

    Didn't know sound card actually affected performance on a computer.
    Last edited by camelfilters; 07-18-2007 at 10:00 AM.

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,497
    Quote Originally Posted by camelfilters View Post
    i could shell out 20$ for a dvd drive. my budget isn't really a problem right now. the max budget for this desktop would be $1500 and i'm about 200-300$ away from that so i'm fine.
    Why do you insist on keeping the DVD ROM drive? Listen to lynx. IT WON'T BE USEFUL!

  9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    15,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    Why do you insist on keeping the DVD ROM drive? Listen to lynx. IT WON'T BE USEFUL!
    Actually, I understand the thinking but the underlying rationale is no longer valid, IMO.
    I used to recommend dual opticals, thinking that the majority of use would fall on the less expensive ROM, saving the expensive RW drive for when it was really needed.
    These days however, DVD-RWs are so cheap that I consider them disposable and it's not worth cluttering up a build to spare them wear and tear.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

  10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by camelfilters View Post
    i could shell out 20$ for a dvd drive. my budget isn't really a problem right now. the max budget for this desktop would be $1500 and i'm about 200-300$ away from that so i'm fine.
    Why do you insist on keeping the DVD ROM drive? Listen to lynx. IT WON'T BE USEFUL!
    won't be useful but i have the money and she'll probably want two drives. Why? i don't know why but it'll keep me from buying 4 more packs of cigarettes in the future.

    anyways, thanks for all the feedback, i'm probably going to buy all the parts by Friday.
    Last edited by camelfilters; 07-18-2007 at 04:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •