Thread: Advice on private p2p for small community

I am considering setting up a private file sharing server for some friends and myself. I have quite a few requirements, and from my research it looks like they may not all be able to be met, but I want to make sure I am not overlooking anything.

Requirements:
    -Private!
    -Encrypted
    -User management
    -Server runs on Linux
    -Clients available for Windows, Linux and Mac
    -Browseable user share lists
    -Searchable
    -Scalable for large indexes of files

I think those are all of my desired qualities, though replies on this thread will likely remind me of more.

I have some experience with running a LAN based OpenNap server and a DC hub. OpenNap seems like the best bet so far, though it doesn't appear to have encryption possibilities and IIRC it requires a lot of RAM when users with lots of files connect.

WASTE seems like it might be along the lines of what we are looking for, but it lacks a Linux client, which is a deal breaker for us.

Any guidance on this project would be much appreciated.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    If you run a registered only server then encryption is probably not a real issue if you choose carefully your contacts..also I have never heard of anyone ever being busted using SlavaNap servers ( which incidentally also have a build for linux OS..)

Otherwise use a private BitTorrent tracker...

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Thanks for the SlavaNap recommendation. I am looking into it now.

Quote Originally Posted by thewizeard View Post
    If you run a registered only server then encryption is probably not a real issue if you choose carefully your contacts.

My concern is a middle man (most likely my ISP) examining the transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by thewizeard View Post
    Otherwise use a private BitTorrent tracker...
    My tracker administration is very limited, so this may be a stupid question... Can a private tracker be a viable solution for a group of people who want to index directories of thousands of individual files from their hard drives and make each of them available at once? It doesn't seem like that would work quite right, but again, I have very little knowledge of how trackers work.

Thanks for you help.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Well I doubt it... But try this http://www.snapfiles.com/get/lsfilelist.html (and use the html option)

PS no question is stupid..it's the unasked questions that are stupid!