Thread: Why Wont They Work

Poster
    I have tried clicking search at the top but it says that its not available.

I have tried copying .avi files on to a cd, so that I can play them on my DVD player, I know that my dvd player allows VCD and SVCD cus I have bought some and used them in the past, I thought that it would save myself the cash and do them my self for achange, so I open up Nero and choose the option to make a VCD, it copies fine but wont play back???

Any Ideas why?
    I'm looking on DVD Digest at the moment but havin no look

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Use TMPGEnc to encode your avi to VCD, and then burn a VCD with the created file(s) using NERO...that should work...In my experience, NERO doesn't encode very well, and you don't have much control...with TMPGEnc, you have control over bitrate and stuff, or you can use their VCD Wizard...either way, use TMPGEnc first

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Try it with CD/RW disks. There's some kind of color difference in the dyes used for CD's and CD/RWs that messes up with the dual lazers in the DVD player. They use different colored lazers to read as well. Mine wouldn't work with at all with CDs and I found this on The AfterDawn forum.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    FST Retiree
    yet another possibilty is the media youre using to burn the movies on. some dvd players cant play certain brands of discs. you can try using a different brand and see if you still have the problem. tdk, imation, and sony have all worked for me....but memorex wouldnt. give this a try.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Memorex does seem to have problems. Even the CD/RWs glitch in the DVD player.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    memorex cdrws dont work on my dvd either, all the rest of the brand do. i stick with sony

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    If you have any VCD's that you know work, you can always copy them and test them to rule in or out the possibility of it being the media...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Right, well i need to get some more cd's tho so I'll give the sony ones a try thanks guys, i got more replies than i thought i would