Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freeware Instead Of Payware.

zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I'd like to consult for individuals reguarding basic functioning, protection & maintenance of home computers. I don't mind giving licensed software to friends. But to strictly customers (whom I'd charge for my time) I'd like to install only freeware. Unless of course they want to buy it from a vendor. CYA (protecting myself). To this end I'll post what I'm looking for a freeware version of, or does the same or very similar tasks. I want to keep it real simple for them. So I figure for AV I'll give them AVG free. And Spybot S&D, Star Downloader, DustBuster XP, XP AntiSpy & ePrompter. Now I need a freeware version of a defrag utility (because standard windows defrag prog sucks). Preferably not Diskeeper Lite. Also need a free prog thats like WinRAR. The last basic prog I want is something similar to Norton's WinDoctor thats free. So in conclusion I'm looking for a free defrag, a free zip & a free repair prog (something simple, otherwise I'd give them jv16 PT). Only true FREEWARE to be considered. Thanks all.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Oh yeah also I'd need a free PF. Sygate, Tiny PF, ZA or ? Which is easiest to use? TY.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    BANNED
    M8 u should find quite a few freeware progs

here

here

Good luck.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Thanks I know lots of FW sites. Please read my original post. I'm asking for specific recommendations from users of said such progs.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    a good zip program is 7-zip, its UI is a bit clunky but it compresses zips better than winzip, the 7z format isn't bad neither

it also can open rar files but not compress them
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    For an archive program, I recommend IZArc. It looks just like WinZip, but also handles RAR, BZ2, 7-ZIP and many more. Very cool program.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    TY you guys. OK still need a freeware prog similar to WinDoctor. Also a free defrag. And recommendation on easy free PF.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    nizers's Avatar Poster
    not really sure, but isn't there a free version of System Mechanic? If so, that's a really good prog to use for disk cleanup and the such.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    at the risk of telling you something you already know,
    i've gotta give a plug for OpenOffice.org
    this is truly the way of the future
    it has all the functionality of M$ office - minus access :: it has an interface for other DBs
    :: is free
    :: open source
    :: cross platform
    [M$95, 98, NT, ME, 2000 and XP :: Sun Solaris :: Linux :: Mac OS X(in final beta)]
    easy to use and well documented
    :: it uses xml structured files, no M$ propriety B) but it can use all M$ office files
    :: it is multi-lingual,
    fully unicode, & includes a html editor]
    i just found it recently and was blown away
    i highly recommend checking out;

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    Originally posted by zapjb@21 June 2003 - 13:38
    TY you guys. OK still need a freeware prog similar to WinDoctor. Also a free defrag. And recommendation on easy free PF.
    what does WinDoctor do? - i'm sure its just a registry cleaner if it is i recommend RegCleaner, which is basically jv16 PT

the only free defrag program i can think of is Diskeeper Lite - which scares me with its insane clicking noises it causes my HD to make

I think ZA is a good PF, pretty much set and forget, the support website is really helpful if you need it
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast