Thread: Advice needed - Hard drive warranty

Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Il give a brife outline of the problem then il quote the emails iv had with the company.

Company:seagate

I got a hard drive of ebay well over a year ago. Now its going faulty (keeps bleeping n freezing up the PC) so iv checked the warranty status on there website it said i should contact the the place where i got the drive from. Problem there i dont have any info for the seller any more & paypal statements dont go that far back. But seagate are saying that even tho its there drive they dont have any dealing over the warranty cos they sold the drive as a system component. (read there 1st reply for more info)

What i want advice on is there anything i can say to them to make them listen & fix/replace the drive for me or am i stuck with a faulty drive???

Any help would be really greatfull

My 1st email to seagate:
    Quote: Dear sir/madem

Iv got a problem with my SATA drive, every so often it keeps making bleeping sounds & freezes the PC up & sometimes even crashes the PC.

IV check the warranty status on your site & it tells me to contact the place i got the drive from. But i got the drive from ebay over a year a go & no longer have the contact info for the seller.

So is there any way i can return the drive to you & you to fix it or send me a replacement?

Many thanks
    Mr P Lewis

seagate 1st reply:
    Quote: Dear Mr. Lewis,

We thank you for contacting Seagate Warranty Support.

The drive Serial Number: 4MT08ZJ0, Model Number: 9W2814-131 was identified to be sold as a System Component. Seagate sells many drives to direct OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) customers. These units are manufactured as per certain specifications defined by our Direct customer's (Ex: Dell, HP, Medion, etc....) requirements. Drives identified as Components do not carry any warranty directly with Seagate and these units ought to be replaced with the Place of Purchase.

However, since you have mentioned that you purchased the drive from ebay we kindly request you to e-mail us a scanned copy of the proof of purchase for us escalate this issue to the concerned department and once we receive further information, we will assist you accordingly.

Regards,
    Debbie
    Seagate Warranty Support

my reply back
    Quote: Hi

Im unable to send you a copy of proof of purchase, as i said before i got this drive of ebay over a year a go!!! As its been that long i cant get copies of the information from either Ebay or paypal.

If i still had copies of this information i would of contacted the seller before emailing you. But i don't so iv contacted yourself to try & help me solve the problem.

I would be great full if you could advise me what i can do now to solve this issue please?

Many thanks
    Mr P Lewis

seagate reply:
    Quote: Dear Mr. Lewis

We thank you for your email.

We would like to inform you that for us have this issue escalated to the higher department, we would require the Proof of Purchase. Please provide us with the same for us to assist you further.

Awaiting your response.

Regards,
    Debbie
    Seagate Warranty Support.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Warranty requires proof of purchase. You need that with whoever warranties anything. Keep copies!

It's also possible that there's nothing wrong with the drive. It could be some other part causing your issues. Possibly the power supply.

You could also run diagnostics on the drive and try to recertify it. Check Seagate site for software.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    optimus_prime's Avatar Guardian BT Rep: +2
    yeah, and might i add, buying an used hard drive is very bad idea. luckily hd's are cheap, buy a new one if that one turns up dead after testing.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Go to My World in your ebay acct. Every purchase you ever made is there.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    @Virtualbody1234

When i had a faulty Maxtor hard drive a few years ago i DIDN'T need proof of purchase to send it back so i dont see why a should need 1 for seagate. They accept that they made the drive, so whats the problem with them exchanging it for a working one.

Its got to be the hard drive thats courseing the bleeping & the PC freezing for the simple reason without the hard drive plugged in the PC runs prefect.

Iv already tried the software from the Seagate website but for what ever reason it dose not see the seagate hard drive.

@optimus_prime
    i know what you are saying but the point is i got a hard drive & hard drives come with a 3 - 5 year warranty. So why should i have to go out buy a new 1 when i believe (an if anyone one can prove me wrong they can) that Seagate as the manufactures are meant to replace there faulty goods

@zapjb
    My world, only list the item title's it dose not prove that i brought a item. An i cant get in to the auction details because the auction ended over 90 days ago + it only gives you item numbers of item you got of ebay.

So i guess it looks like im screwed!! An stuck with a faulty hard drive
    Last edited by mrfun1981; 07-22-2007 at 07:45 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    optimus_prime's Avatar Guardian BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfun1981 View Post
    i know what you are saying but the point is i got a hard drive & hard drives come with a 3 - 5 year warranty. So why should i have to go out buy a new 1 when i believe (an if anyone one can prove me wrong they can) that Seagate as the manufactures are meant to replace there faulty goods
    well i don't know if there's something different in your country of residence, but factory manufacturers seldom give such long warranty for oem products. 1 year warranty is what we get in europe for oem seagate drives. yeah, it is the same drive, but it is originally sold by factory to oem for smaller price that doesn't include extended warranty. oem might opt to give out longer warranty but than oem takes the burden of expenses and you deal with them instead with factory manufacturer. you can trust seagate support on this, but here is the form for rechecking your numbers.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by optimus_prime View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfun1981 View Post
    well i don't know if there's something different in your country of residence, but factory manufacturers seldom give such long warranty for oem products. 1 year warranty is what we get in europe for oem seagate drives. yeah, it is the same drive, but it is originally sold by factory to oem for smaller price that doesn't include extended warranty. oem might opt to give out longer warranty but than oem takes the burden of expenses and you deal with them instead with factory manufacturer. you can trust seagate support on this, but here is the form for rechecking your numbers.
    This is exactly correct.
    OP, you haven't a leg to stand on.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Bandwidth Slut
    check the beep code for your bios & try using HDD Regenerator (V1.41 if you have a floppy or 1.51 if you need a bootable CD) to test and possibly fix the drive. HDD Regenerator is one program that actually works, I've fixed 8 HD's with it. Sometimes the fix "holds" and sometimes it only lasts for a few months, but at least you can get your data off.

If it has physical disk errors however your prolly screwed, once peices of media flake off and start flying around at 7200 RPM drives tend to self destruct pretty quick.

If you need a working copy of v1.41 PM me and I'll get it to ya.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by P2PAlaska View Post
    check the beep code for your bios & try using HDD Regenerator (V1.41 if you have a floppy or 1.51 if you need a bootable CD) to test and possibly fix the drive. HDD Regenerator is one program that actually works, I've fixed 8 HD's with it. Sometimes the fix "holds" and sometimes it only lasts for a few months, but at least you can get your data off.

If it has physical disk errors however your prolly screwed, once peices of media flake off and start flying around at 7200 RPM drives tend to self destruct pretty quick.

If you need a working copy of v1.41 PM me and I'll get it to ya.

A low level format tool ? I'v put a hard drive in the freezer before probably does the same thing . Does sound like the OP is screwed , why do people buy off of Ebay and expect a warranty ?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Why buy HDD off ebay at all? I got 3 Seagate 160GB new OTD $31.79 ea. Sold 1 kept 2. Fatwallet dot com