In flames - The jester's dance
    Arch Enemy - Snowbound

2. Music   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Say Wha?- SRV
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Music   -   #13
    Jayhawk
    i think that tool is very intrumental...

4. Music   -   #14
    The Passion
    JayHawk hit it right on!!
    I absolutely love TooL, especially Lateralus

I play the drums (have been for about 5 years now)
    and Danny Carey is definitely one my modern-era idols

About half of every song of their's is instrumental, which simply
    accentuates their musicianship!
    It takes true talent to play 5/4 - 4/4 - 5/4 - 4/4 as they do all album long!

5. Music   -   #15
    insanebassman
    tough:

Blue Rondo A La Turk - Dave Brubeck

Orion - Metalickass

Elektric City - Chic Corea

Woodpecker from Mars - Faith No More

Into The Lungs of Hell - Megadeth

6. Music   -   #16
    Ex-member
    Fanfare for the Common Man - Emerson, Lake + Palmer

Adagio - Samuel Barber

Hector the Hero - Tony McManus

Overture to The Marriage Of Figaro - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

7. Music   -   #17
    CrumbCat's Avatar Cachaça or Cachaça
    Dave Brubeck Quartet's "Time Out" gets my vote for the All-Time Greatest Instrumental Album. It's a must-have for any music connoisseur.

Artist: Dave Brubeck Quartet
    Album Title: Time Out
    Date of Release: Jun 25, 1959 - Aug 18, 1959 (recording) inprint
    Genre: Jazz
    Tones: Elegant, Sophisticated, Intimate, Restrained, Laid-Back/Mellow, Springlike, Refined/Mannered, Calm/Peaceful, Gentle, Complex, Reserved
    Styles: Cool, West Coast Jazz
    Time: 52:02

Notes from All Music Guide:
    Dave Brubeck's defining masterpiece, Time Out is one of the most rhythmically innovative albums in jazz history, the first to consciously explore time signatures outside of the standard 4/4 beat or 3/4 waltz time. It was a risky move — Brubeck's record company wasn't keen on releasing such an arty project, and many critics initially roasted him for tampering with jazz's rhythmic foundation. But for once, public taste was more advanced than that of the critics. Buoyed by a hit single in altoist Paul Desmond's ubiquitous "Take Five," Time Out became an unexpectedly huge success, and still ranks as one of the most popular jazz albums ever. That's a testament to Brubeck and Desmond's abilities as composers, because Time Out is full of challenges both subtle and overt — it's just that they're not jarring. Brubeck's classic "Blue Rondo à la Turk" blends jazz with classical form and Turkish folk rhythms, while "Take Five," despite its overexposure, really is a masterpiece; listen to how well Desmond's solo phrasing fits the 5/4 meter, and how much Joe Morello's drum solo bends time without getting lost. The other selections are richly melodic as well, and even when the meters are even, the group sets up shifting polyrhythmic counterpoints that nod to African and Eastern musics. Some have come to disdain Time Out as it's become increasingly synonymous with upscale coffeehouse ambience, but as someone once said of Shakespeare, it's really very good in spite of the people who like it. It doesn't just sound sophisticated — it really is sophisticated music, which lends itself to cerebral appreciation, yet never stops swinging. Countless other musicians built on its pioneering experiments, yet it's amazingly accessible for all its advanced thinking, a rare feat in any art form. This belongs in even the most rudimentary jazz collection. — Steve Huey

If you've never heard this album, do yourself a favor - get a copy and give it a listen - you'll be hooked.

Tchau!

8. Music   -   #18
    MrT
    Originally posted by CrumbCat@24 July 2003 - 20:00
    Dave Brubeck Quartet's "Time Out" gets my vote for the All-Time Greatest Instrumental Album. It's a must-have for any music connoisseur.

Artist: Dave Brubeck Quartet
    Album Title: Time Out
    Date of Release: Jun 25, 1959 - Aug 18, 1959 (recording) inprint
    Genre: Jazz
    Tones: Elegant, Sophisticated, Intimate, Restrained, Laid-Back/Mellow, Springlike, Refined/Mannered, Calm/Peaceful, Gentle, Complex, Reserved
    Styles: Cool, West Coast Jazz
    Time: 52:02

Notes from All Music Guide:
    Dave Brubeck's defining masterpiece, Time Out is one of the most rhythmically innovative albums in jazz history, the first to consciously explore time signatures outside of the standard 4/4 beat or 3/4 waltz time. It was a risky move — Brubeck's record company wasn't keen on releasing such an arty project, and many critics initially roasted him for tampering with jazz's rhythmic foundation. But for once, public taste was more advanced than that of the critics. Buoyed by a hit single in altoist Paul Desmond's ubiquitous "Take Five," Time Out became an unexpectedly huge success, and still ranks as one of the most popular jazz albums ever. That's a testament to Brubeck and Desmond's abilities as composers, because Time Out is full of challenges both subtle and overt — it's just that they're not jarring. Brubeck's classic "Blue Rondo à la Turk" blends jazz with classical form and Turkish folk rhythms, while "Take Five," despite its overexposure, really is a masterpiece; listen to how well Desmond's solo phrasing fits the 5/4 meter, and how much Joe Morello's drum solo bends time without getting lost. The other selections are richly melodic as well, and even when the meters are even, the group sets up shifting polyrhythmic counterpoints that nod to African and Eastern musics. Some have come to disdain Time Out as it's become increasingly synonymous with upscale coffeehouse ambience, but as someone once said of Shakespeare, it's really very good in spite of the people who like it. It doesn't just sound sophisticated — it really is sophisticated music, which lends itself to cerebral appreciation, yet never stops swinging. Countless other musicians built on its pioneering experiments, yet it's amazingly accessible for all its advanced thinking, a rare feat in any art form. This belongs in even the most rudimentary jazz collection. — Steve Huey

If you've never heard this album, do yourself a favor - get a copy and give it a listen - you'll be hooked.

Tchau!
    Now that is a kick-ass album!

Really.

9. Music   -   #19
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    any movie scores by John Wiliams I think are great

10. Music   -   #20
    MrT
    Forgot about them movie scores.....good call Hogster!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast