Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virus slowing down my internet connection?

I normally have a very fast connection that has about a 1.5-2Mbps DL limit and a 2Mbps UL limit. I have forwarded my ports to previously great success. Recently my DL speeds on Utorrent have dropped from a usual 1Mb to about 100-116kB max. Nothing has changed in my set-up. Just the speed.

I ran my ISPs speed checker and my speed is now around 50-60Mbps. My ISP says I have a 100Mb but that really the best expected speeds are 80Mb. They say my connection speed is quite good. I'm not sure if my actual connection has become slower, but I know that my downloads and uploads on Utorrent are much slower. Sometimes my PC would slow down and occasionally crash because the files were downloading or uploading so fast. Are there any common viruses that interrupt internet download speeds?

I ask because the last time I switched to this optic fiber service I couldn't get full speeds because my PC had some sort of virus that was interrupting the signal. The connection into my place was fine, but my PC wouldn't accept the bandwidth. I had to have my PC reformatted and everything. I'm wondering if that's what happened now...

I use NOD32 2.7 that updates several times a day regularly, and just did an indepth scan, but found nothing. I also just recently used an updated Spybot S&D to clean out a lot of spyware, but my connection has not really improved.

Any help?
    Last edited by mr00420; 07-24-2007 at 09:05 AM.

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Sometimes spywares and viruses install a LSP, which is some sort of internet filter installed on Windows. If the LSP is corrupted, this will result in many internet problems, like no connectivity, ... maybe it could even slow down your internet connection. You can download "LSP Fix" to solve this kind of problem. DON'T REMOVE all LSP's that it detects! just google each detected LSP to make sure they are safe.
    If the problem is not an LSP, maybe the problem is not software..

Have you tried with another computer?

By the way, I think Kaspersky is better than NOD32... but it takes a good computer to run it.

Hope it helps

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    prasadah's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    yes kaspersky is better than nod

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    goto start then in the run box type "cmd" without quotes. then when the command windows comes up type "netstat /a" without quotes. this is going to show whatever is connecting to your computer. This will also show ip addresses of websites you are currently viewing.

Don't mistake them for viruses. If you have a ton of connections this could be why your connection is slowing down. If you have a wireless router make sure you are using a wep secure connection with password, or people that have wireless is going to be connecting for free and using your bandwidth.

A wise man gives advice, but a wiser man learns from it and uses it. Smart people learn from others mistakes. The blessing is on the other side of your tribulation.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    dineshreddy's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    use kaspersky ..it will not allow virus

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    ivenkii's Avatar @ddicTed t0 u BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by dineshreddy View Post
    Why not, nothing is perfect in the world , even Kaspersky fails to detect viruses sometimes

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ivenkii View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dineshreddy View Post
    Why not, nothing is perfect in the world , even Kaspersky fails to detect viruses sometimes

so ur speaking as if ur creator of viruses

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by sanath View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ivenkii View Post

so ur speaking as if ur creator of viruses

Read this and learn

http://www.av-comparatives.org

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    dvd4alll's Avatar BANNED BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    May be try Avira.. It works well 4 me

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    Poster
    get a good firewall as well
    i am using norton (since it has a friendly user interface my dad can use) for desktop
    and for laptop i use outpost firewall (takes up less resources and its very good)

or just buy a hardware firewall to provide the best protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast