Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do I Warn About Viruses

I have a worm on my system that seems pretty hard to get rid of have gone to Symantec (I have a registered copy of Norton's AntiVirus program) and have been told that the program allows someone to have access to my machine and control. It states that it usually comes from a P2P with files (maybe they mean when I downloaded a file it had the worm with it).

I do not want others affected I want it fixed so that I can back to business. I am going to cut off my sharing and try to find other help besides Symantec so please understand why I am not sharing if I need any files you have got.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    What's the name of it? That kind of information'll be a lot of help to people who want to help you out.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    BANNED
    Magicnakor loves the smiley alot

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    And they're gone. Poof. Let's see theres over 12,000 members with zero posts. I wonder how thousands have 1-5 posts. Probably another 10,000.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Forum Star
    Originally posted by pahknee@23 June 2003 - 06:32
    I have a worm on my system that seems pretty hard to get rid of have gone to Symantec (I have a registered copy of Norton's AntiVirus program) and have been told that the program allows someone to have access to my machine and control.  It states that it usually comes from a P2P with files (maybe they mean when I downloaded a file it had the worm with it).

I do not want others affected I want it fixed so that I can back to business.  I am going to cut off my sharing and try to find other help besides Symantec so please understand why I am not sharing if I need any files you have got.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
    I'm not an expert on this, but from what I understand you can only get viruses from p2p when you download software (correct me if I'm wrong, anybody ).

Since you have a registered version of Norton, I think you could get help on the Symantec Homepage.
    Did you update your Norton regulary, by the way?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    Well, no you cant get virus unless you download BUT if u dont have a firewall people on the p2p or anywhere on the internet for that matter, can find your ip and listen to your ports(just as bad as a backdoor) and sometimes send you a trojan. But, as long as you have a AV and firewall, you should be just fine .

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by Bender@23 June 2003 - 04:15
    I'm not an expert on this, but from what I understand you can only get viruses from p2p when you download software (correct me if I'm wrong, anybody ).

Since you have a registered version of Norton, I think you could get help on the Symantec Homepage.
    Did you update your Norton regulary, by the way?
    I've gotten a virus from a MP3 file -- it was called "MP3" but it was actually a "VBS" virus.

Windows Media Player (v6.4 or so...) ran it just fine without a warning even!

Microsoft Windows is really friendly about handling mis-named files. If it can detect what filetype the file REALLY is, it will often redirect it and run it without even bothering the user about the 'problem'...

Some of the p2p viruses found on Kazaa are so new that Norton and McAfee haven't made detection/removal methods for them yet.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    no, you cant get a virus from a mp3 file, either it was a double extension(ex-mp3.vbs) or it was a vbs that was renamed mp3. I would find out its real extension BEFORE excuting the file. And pahknee,
    program allows someone to have access to my machine and control
    is called a backdoor and although common on p2p you can get them anywhere(ex- sites, email and even just being on the internet without a firewall), so they are not strickly p2p viruses. Also
    I am going to cut off my sharing and try to find other help besides Symantec so please understand why I am not sharing if I need any files you have got
    If your so damn worried, i wouldnt download either. You cant get a virus uploading

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by theprisoner@24 June 2003 - 19:50
    no, you cant get a virus from a mp3 file, either it was a double extension(ex-mp3.vbs) or it was a vbs that was renamed mp3. I would find out its real extension BEFORE excuting the file.
    It was a "something.VBS" file that was renamed to "something.MP3" file.

Sure, it was really a VBS file still but with the MP3 extension -- But due to M$'s Media Player's tendancy to run anything it can run without warning that a file's mis-named, a virus CAN infect a computer even if it IS named "something.MP3"!

It's not a simple matter to find out a file's 'real extension' because you'd have to know that file's entire history and/or read its internal structure with a hex editor or a program that deciphers a file's structure without actually executing any code found in it.

Perhaps I should email you a copy of this "MP3" file so you can run it in media player if you don't believe me.

I've also seen numerous "AVI" and "MPG" files that are actually ASF/RM/WMV files which launch IE to go to a 'sponsored' website. To me, it's almost a form of trojan -- because it is neither what I expect or desire out of an AVI or MPG file.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    Yes, if it is renamed it still can excute but normally im not one to use Windows Media Player(i use musicmatch Jukebox) and have never really had any problems with MP3 but if it doesnt run on my player(or show up as a musicmatch icon, just as a window), i delete it right away. I would personally stop using windows media player . Also i heard that k-lite filters renamed those as bad files. But thanks for the info.
    Some of the p2p viruses found on Kazaa are so new that Norton and McAfee haven't made detection/removal methods for them yet.
    Yes there are many new ones everyday but most are similar to another virus therefore, they are detected as that virus. By the way, what virus did it turn out to be?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast