Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading To Xp Professional

Alucard1475's Avatar Poster
    Hi,

I'm currently on ME but because some of the programs do not work on ME, I decided to upgarde to Windows XP Professional Edition.

I know that I am able to upgarde but, what's gonna happen to my programs once I've upgraded?
    Are they gonna be still there or is it like restoring the whole computer and there is nothing but free space?
    If this is the case, I just want to be sure to save everything before proceeding.

What about the Office programs like word, excal etc. which are on ME, are they going to work on XP or do I have to install Office XP?

Thanks in advance.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Don't upgrade!

Do a clean new install to another partition and use the NT bootloader to choose between them. Not much from ME will work in XP and you'll have a totaly messed up system anyway. Partition the drive with partition magic 6 or 8.
    PM 7 doesn't work with ME(at least not HP ME)
    Start a new install from ME and select advanced install options. Choose "copy all" and "I want to choose where".
    Your hardware may not work with XP and this will give you a chance to evaluate it without loosing anything.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by balamm*@23 June 2003 - 00:32
    Not much from ME will work in XP and you'll have a totaly messed up system anyway. Partition the drive with partition magic 6 or 8.
    bah, this is wrong. win xp does not have DOS, so a lot of DOS programs do not work... but it's been long enough that windows equivalents for most things have been released and you can do just about everything you want to without DOS.

there's nothing wrong with upgrading from ME to XP.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I've upgraded from ME to XP & had no problems with programs but the hardware... well my computer would not stay on for longer than 1/2 minutes (literally) as I needed to download a driver update, managed to download it on my laptop & burn it to disk & had just enough time to open it & update the driver on my computer. All the ME programs like word, excel, frontpage work fine on my comp, my comp is also a lot more stable.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Have you run a baseline security test on it? What are the results?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/...ls/mbsahome.asp

Post your results if you run this please and prefferably with just the OS security, not a third party firewall, so it's a fair assessment.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Alucard1475's Avatar Poster
    Thanks for the info to everyone.

I've just found those 4 steps on microsoft on how to upgrade without to have any complications with further programs.
    If it's gonna be trouble, I'll be thinking about the upgrade.

Thanks again.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+23 June 2003 - 09:42--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC &#064; 23 June 2003 - 09:42)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-balamm*@23 June 2003 - 00:32
    Not much from ME will work in XP and you&#39;ll have a totaly messed up system anyway. Partition the drive with partition magic 6 or 8.
    bah, this is wrong. win xp does not have DOS, so a lot of DOS programs do not work... but it&#39;s been long enough that windows equivalents for most things have been released and you can do just about everything you want to without DOS.

there&#39;s nothing wrong with upgrading from ME to XP. [/b][/quote]
    have to agree with u. when i first installed XPpro about a year ago i just did it on top of ME. no only that, it was a spanish version. ME english. after that changed key and all the things u do and never a probl. something i did was to do the updates first SP1, the rest, two updates every three days. at the time there were rumours of one of the uploas to make the pc to slow&temperamental. that way is easyest to isolate the susspect. with me everything went ok. never a probl. (still do my updates every three days)
    now running english v. again on top. another thing, XP will help you to adapt programs from previous...START-PROGRAMS-ACCESSORIES & look for the help, is there. very few programs didn´t respond.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    last post was deleted.
    DVD PIRATE II, continue looking for a confrontation and you may find yourself with one&#33; If you have a helpfull idea or comment that&#39;s fine but attitude is not&#33;
    Moderation warning is given.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by balamm@30 June 2003 - 10:26
    last post was deleted.
    DVD PIRATE II, continue looking for a confrontation and you may find yourself with one&#33; If you have a helpfull idea or comment that&#39;s fine but attitude is not&#33;
    Moderation warning is given.
    Good call,that DVD fool is getting on my nerves with his/her attitude.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast