Thread: Guitar HELP!!!!111one

cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel

Question Mark

Holy shit I'm pissed and worried at the same time.

I went to replace the strings on my Warlock today (something that is very easy and I've been doing for god knows how long) so I was totally taken aback at what happened next.

I took the strings off (to put the new set on) and BAM the bridge just fell off, its like the strings (tension) were holding it to the guitar (the tension of the string from the bridge to the headstock, as if the bridge was "hanging" on to the headstock). This has never happend to me before, and I've changed the strings on this warlock 3 times since I've gotten it with no problems.

Deciding it was nothing I tried to put the bridge back to no avail. this got me even more worried. After 30 min. of trying to figure out how to get the bridge back on, I decided that the strings tension was prob what held it in place (then why is it it never fell off the other times I changed the strings?)

So I put the strings on (an insanely hard job now that I had to basically put 1 string on bridge, then kinda hold that in place while putting the string through the tuner knob on the headstock, turning the tuner to put tension on string, whihc in turn would hold the bridge in place).

What happened next made me panic like never before, the damn thing doesnt even sound like anything I've ever heard before. It's twangy to say the least, its like when you're tightening the strings, it's as if there is absolutely no tension in them (yet there is huge amount on them, they are very taught [however you spell it, you know as in a lot of tension on them],) and it didnt sound like normal guitar at all. It sounded twangy and really f'ed up.

I plugged in the tuner, and when i pluck the strings it shows a readin gon the tuner, like E, A etc. so the tuner recognizes it, yet it sounds njothing like it at all.

If anyone has the slightest clue what I'm talking about and the solution to it (or if you've encountered this problem before) please help! I'm taking this thing into the shop first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

2. Music   -   #2
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    pictures?

3. Music   -   #3
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Hilarious... get some pics up yo.

4. Music   -   #4
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    yeah. that's not something you should really try fixing on your own. take it to a shop for sure. gotta say thats one hell of a strange problem though.

5. Music   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by lee551
    yeah. that's not something you should really try fixing on your own. take it to a shop for sure. gotta say thats one hell of a strange problem though.
    No shit, been looking for something on the net for the last while now, nothing so far. Def. gonna take it to the shop, damn, i think it might be the screws on the bridge (not sure).

6. Music   -   #6
    yeah. it's really strange that it didn't become obvious until the strings were off. how does a bridge just come unattached by itself?

7. Music   -   #7
    yeah. it's really strange that it didn't become obvious until the strings were off. how does a bridge just come unattached by itself?
    You're telling me lol, I talked to the guy he didn't really explain why the bridge came off the way it did (I'll ask him when I go to pikck up the guitar), but he said it's because of the tightening screws on the bridge itself, said it was a relatively easy problem to solve and that he'd be done in 30 min. But I had other things to do so I just left it at the store (it was still under warranty ) and I'll pick it up tom.

8. Music   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad
    You're telling me lol, I talked to the guy he didn't really explain why the bridge came off the way it did (I'll ask him when I go to pikck up the guitar), but he said it's because of the tightening screws on the bridge itself, said it was a relatively easy problem to solve and that he'd be done in 30 min. But I had other things to do so I just left it at the store (it was still under warranty ) and I'll pick it up tom.
    whew. at least it's fixable.

9. Music   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad

whew. at least it's fixable.
    I know, I was so damn worried and google yielded no results which further worried me. First thing I'll do when I pick up guitar will be to ask the guitar tech how that's even possible and how to avoid it next time im switching strings.