Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Peerguardian List

Originally posted by MagicNakor@29 June 2003 - 11:02
    Except it still has all those asinine IPs in it.

if they bother you that much take them out of your guarding file! (and quit complaining lol)

2. File Sharing   -   #62
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Unfortunately I don't have hours and hours to sift though that long list, getting rid of duplicates, bad IP ranges, etc. If you do, feel free.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

3. File Sharing   -   #63
    no i know lol but i was jokingly referring to the french dod and some of those- i mean they may seem goofy to have in there but who is that hurting- as for the duplicates i just checked the pg database and there are two long posts pointing out the dups... so that should help out once the list is modified

4. File Sharing   -   #64
    Well, if I wanted to access a large number of government/school websites, I wouldn't be able to. I've seen posts on the PG database saying IPRange(corrected - don't use IPRange), and duplicates, and ranges far too wide. It would be possible for me to go through, spend a number of days sorting it, but it's far too much work for something so minimal. Plus, it's their database, they should look after it.

so, he does
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. File Sharing   -   #65
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@30 June 2003 - 00:54
    Well, if I wanted to access a large number of government/school websites, I wouldn't be able to. I've seen posts on the PG database saying IPRange(corrected - don't use IPRange), and duplicates, and ranges far too wide. It would be possible for me to go through, spend a number of days sorting it, but it's far too much work for something so minimal. Plus, it's their database, they should look after it.

MagicNakor, i hear you on the frustration of browsing the web with pg ips but there are ppl that are posting comments at the pg site and they are editing the ranges- also the corrected ip posts (please remove otheretc) have been taken care of (mostly) in the recommended database list- the notes in some of those were eg corrected-please remove other and either meth or eremini removed the errors. and as i said before someone just posted the duplicates that exist so that will be taken care of. it's far from where it should be but it's dependent upon ppl contributing (that would be the "they"- me and other ppl who want to see the effort work) meth started pg for friends of his and he has never claimed it to be the end all be all of protection (in fact he has said that theoretically peerbuddy is designed better) also i've posted suggestions that the ppl submitting the ranges should be limited to those ppl that meth know but for now he's stickin with the thumbs up, down method where ppl can vote on them. so if anyone has suggestions or comments meant to help the effort post at the comments section.
    http://methlab.tech.nu/

ddd

6. File Sharing   -   #66
    Poster
    Originally posted by Illuminati+28 June 2003 - 14:26--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Illuminati &#064; 28 June 2003 - 14:26)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>If you leave any P2P program on practically all the time (like I do ), then you&#39;ve really got to choose how often you think yourself[/b]
    This may have been a typo but it&#39;s close to being a Freudian slip as well.
    It&#39;s a shame we&#39;re not told to think for ourselves more often. <!--QuoteBegin-MagicNakor
    @29 June 2003 - 19:54
    Plus, it&#39;s their database, they should look after it. [/quote]In THAT regard, you are very wrong. That database is not owned by them, it is not patented, it is not copyrighted, and it is maintained as much or moreso by users of Peer Guardian than the developers. The developers are in fact so busy on the raw programming and other projects that tasking them with maintaining the database meant to protect US is too much to ask. Also, many of us believe there is something perverse or wrong about exclusive, virtually-permanent ownership of ideas and the &#39;thought-crimes&#39; that others comit by having similar ideas.

It&#39;s true that many of the blocked ranges are often for trivial/stupid things, but at least there is a short text with each one telling what they&#39;re for so people who care to go to the time and effort can be more picky about what they block.

This is an ongoing and very imperfect process. It lacks the organization or skill-backings of professional software. Currently, the number of actual CONTRIBUTORS is very small. But the need is great and time may be short. We&#39;re more likely to be fools for not trying than for failing.

7. File Sharing   -   #67
    If the number of contributors is so small, they must be comprised of conspiracy theorists, because I still haven&#39;t seen a legimate reason to block a good percentage of what&#39;s on that list. In effect, it is their database. It certainly isn&#39;t mine. I don&#39;t maintain it. If I did, it&#39;d likely be in better shape.

so, he does
    -- WW2 for the l33t

8. File Sharing   -   #68
    Poster
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@30 June 2003 - 06:51
    If the number of contributors is so small, they must be comprised of conspiracy theorists, because I still haven&#39;t seen a legimate reason to block a good percentage of what&#39;s on that list. In effect, it is their database. It certainly isn&#39;t mine. I don&#39;t maintain it. If I did, it&#39;d likely be in better shape.
    Maybe a very tiny number of them are conspiracy theorists I guess -- but mainly they just have no clue what they&#39;re doing. Those &#39;bad&#39; ranges were in an old internet list of "FBI monitored websites" and just got grandfathered into Peer Guardian. Many of the users think a longer list is &#39;better&#39; without even considering what&#39;s blocked -- so too do many who submit ip ranges.

But the project is relatively new.

You don&#39;t get support on the internet easily OR quickly -- especially if what you&#39;re trying to accomplish is technically complicated.

It&#39;s hard enough trying to explain WHAT it (supposedly) does and what limitations it has. And 90+% of people who use it and run into a website that is blocked are helpless too.

Is it any wonder something obscure and technically difficult can&#39;t get much help?

9. File Sharing   -   #69
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Want to be 100% safe.. unplug your internet at nightime when you dont use it sometimes. Zone Alarm also has an Auto-Lock feature that&#39;ll lock your connection after a certain amount of innactivity time. Then wakes it back up when u request.

10. File Sharing   -   #70
    I am glad I have just updated peer guardian 14 hits from the fbi and now 6 from audible magic (copyright breaching org).... wonder what they&#39;ve already got on me?
    What is telecom italia I have had 11 hits from them in the last 20 mins.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast