Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Important

I realize this is kind of a laid back group, but this is too important to ignore. In case you haven't seen it yet, in the Filesharing forum somebody posted a huge Peer Guardian Block List:

http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?showtopic=46939

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Poster
    Well tell us how to get a new copy of it. The last time I used it, it slowed my PC down so much. I deleted the thing.

Any way of making it faster?

3. Lounge   -   #3
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    please read my comments over there, before you proceed.

I do not wish to flame here, but I feel people should think about this program

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by vivitron 15@26 June 2003 - 21:38
    please read my comments over there, before you proceed.

I do not wish to flame here, but I feel people should think about this program
    Words of one syllable for a Luddite, Viv.

What problems will this prog cause. No stats or technical issues, will it slow me down or stop me accessing certain sites, or something else.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    ok, basicallt, that list blocks around 16% of all the possible adresses. This is fine, if these people are all members of RIAA or whoever. The problem is that, surely the large majority of these IPs are, in fact, normal people like you and I.

I would urge anyone else to consider if they are happy to block a large number of "good" sharers? Because this is more than likely the case, if you use this list. (in fact this program)
    <insert signature here>

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Poster
    Bottom line. If someone&#39;s IP, or proxy, is within these ranges then they will not be able to download from someone using this. In fact the request will be treated as an attack.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    exactly, and as this list is circulated, this person will be shut out of ALL filesharing programs.
    <insert signature here>

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Since you&#39;re talking about Peer Guardian, I&#39;ve got a question for you: what does the "aggression" thingy ( at the very bottom of the PG window ) stands for ?

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by vivitron 15@26 June 2003 - 22:07
    exactly, and as this list is circulated, this person will be shut out of ALL filesharing programs.
    Seems a bit harsh, unless people are absolutely certain that these ranges are accurate.

Particularly when there are other ways to protect yourself, like the privacy patch, using proxy servers and that sort of thing.

Just while I think about it, should this perhaps be in Filesharing rather than the Lounge. Just a thought for the MODS to consider.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    He&#39;s trying to get more people to go to the filesharing...so if i move it there, it defeats the object of his post.

I do see your point however

If you use peergardian, you dont have to input all the ranges...bit daft me putting in the Italian Defence Dept etc for example...they have no power where i live for one, and are hardly interested in people sharing mp3s and movies

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast