Thread: Windows xp wont install updates ???

Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25

Question Mark

I'm running a legit copy of windows xp media center edition and Im having a problem.It downloads all security updates but always fails to install them.It doesnt give a reason just always fails.So I always have the little yellow shield near my clock saying i have updates waiting to be installed but whenever i try to install them it will always fail.This have been going on for a few weeks.Ive tried restarting and letting it update on its own.But nothing works.

I didnt have this problem till i tried to update to vista and then rolled back the installation due to a hardware conflict.Nothing else happened except for this update issue.

BTW:It not a genuine issues,since it downloads all the updates just wont install them.

Does anyone have any idea on how i can remedy this?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Check Microsoft's knowledge base ? Do you use Firefox and if so have you tried this site . Something lazy I'd try or maybe SFC ?

http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    yea i use firefox, ill give your link a try.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Worth a try let us know if it works , might be something simple like empty your Windows Update Download folder or what ever it's called .

To be honest when I read this , "I didnt have this problem till i tried to update to vista and then rolled back the installation due to a hardware conflict " I thought oh oh ... I would of just done a clean install but I do understand not all are comfortable with that .

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    If your firewall is ZoneAlarm try turning on Windows Firewall, shutting down ZA, get your updates and then restart and turn Windows Firewall off again.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    To be honest when I read this , "I didnt have this problem till i tried to update to vista and then rolled back the installation due to a hardware conflict " I thought oh oh ... I would of just done a clean install but I do understand not all are comfortable with that .
    Thought the same.

Maybe you could try http://www.autopatcher.com/ - It's pretty neat. Worth a check.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Thanks for the info guys. So far ive tried http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/ and was able to install alot of the updates. I now only need 6 more. I'll try running that again and see if installs the remaining updates.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I just wanted to post my solution for anyone having problems with their windows update.

Running the "Dial a fix" app in safe mode with all the checks selected.

http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

You can get the app at the link above.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Glad you got it sorted , never heard of Dial a fix other than my local drug dealer . Bookmarked tho as one never knows , I wonder what it would it would find on a suppose ably clean system . Thanks for sharing the link import_fighter .

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    Glad you got it sorted , never heard of Dial a fix other than my local drug dealer . Bookmarked tho as one never knows , I wonder what it would it would find on a suppose ably clean system . Thanks for sharing the link import_fighter .
    no problem,glad i was able to fix the problem and maybe help someone with the same problem in the future.