Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Gov't Cracks Down On Pirated Games

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    "The US Government said Wednesday that it had executed 32 search warrants in 16 states as part of a crackdown on devices and chips which allow pirated games to be played on gaming consoles."

"Government officials say the targets of the raids were company's that produce devices to circumvent copyright protections on Sony's PlayStation 2, Microsoft's Xbox and Xbox 360, and Nintendo's Wii, among others. The industry claims these chips cause billions of dollars in lost revenue each year.

The raids were the largest of their kind to to date, and were the result of investigations by the Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Office in Cleveland, Ohio. ICE says that in 2006, seizures of pirated works increased by 83 percent.

"Illicit devices like the ones targeted today are created with one purpose in mind, subverting copyright protections," ICE Homeland Security assistant secretary Julie Myers said. "These crimes cost legitimate businesses billions of dollars annually and facilitate multiple other layers of criminality, such as smuggling, software piracy and money laundering."

Counterfeiting and piracy in general is said to cost the US economy somewhere between $200 and $250 billion per year and has resulted in the loss of 750,000 jobs according to US Chamber of Commerce statistics.

ICE said it could not release more details on those involved or further details on the case at the current time.
    In its own statement, Microsoft voiced its support for ICE's actions. "Microsoft applauds ICE for its effort to reduce piracy and protect the intellectual property of Microsoft and its industry partners," it said.

"This is an important step in the continuing fight against piracy and the threat it presents to the global economy and consumers throughout the world.""

Source: BetaNews (The picture is for laughs from RandomImage.us)
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 08-02-2007 at 06:23 PM. Reason: LOL!
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    how do they track them? by the people who recently had modchips come into the US? because i mean i just ordered a swap magic and wiikey...

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    Look at that thumbnail.... are those 12 year olds???

Chipset sweat shops.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    They've only targeted the companies that produce'em so far.

And the picture is just a random image I caught off from the sexy pictures link on the forum
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    FsT uSeR BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Like the pic you put along with it

For them to say they are loosing 200-250 billion dollars a year is BS because most of the games would have never been bought if they were not able to be downloaded for free

and what the hell is the Homeland Security doing busting modchip producer's? shouldn't they be too busy busting terrorists and illegal immigrants??
    Last edited by Typhos; 08-02-2007 at 08:41 PM.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    investigations by the Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE)??? Egad...I guess the boarders are now safer due to the chipmod capture! HHMMM, I better not mod my car.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    LMAO.

Well without these sweatshops running maybe they think its safer cause the immigrants will have to go to Nike and Reebok outlets for work??

Gimme a break. Next well be having homeland security doing busts on McDonalds workers... They are causing a national deficit by putting 4 pickles on the burgers instead of 2. They cost McDonalds 1.7 Billion a year in pickle deficits... Which in return costs the Gov cause McDonalds would have spent that in bribes ect...

P.S. I think the 250 Billion figure is WAAAAAAY off... but I beleive their total was in total piracy combined.. not just on video games.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    rediculed BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    "Microsoft applauds ICE for its effort to reduce piracy and protect the intellectual property of Microsoft and its industry partners,"

imagine that the greediest god damn company on the face of the earth

invite always be free. no trades. remember sharing is caring.
    bt rep should be abolished.
    life is about choices and consequences. you make your choices but remember only you have yourself to blame when you realize the consequences. personal experience taught me that.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    deuce6000's Avatar Go Giants!! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    That pic with the kids getting loaded on the bus is fricken hilarious.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    I'm Back Everyone :) BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    That's a great pic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast