Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burning DVD movies - saving space ?

Hi Guys

I have just started burning mvies to DVD's.

I am using DVDshrink with Nero (seems to work well)

I have found out that original DVD's are Dual layer DVD9 and the DVD-R's we buy are single layer DVD5's.

I have 2 questions.

Is it possible to buy DVD-R's that are dual layered.

Is it worth removing movie trailers, foreign languages, etc to save a bit of space and therefore get a slightly higher compression ratio ?

Regards

Digby

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Removing trailers and unwanted items such as foreign language audio will give you more space so you can get a lower ratio and slightly better quality. It's worth it IMO.

Dual layer writeable discs are available but the cheapest I've seen them is at £1.50 each on a special offer.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by digmen1 View Post
    Hi Guys

I have just started burning mvies to DVD's.

I am using DVDshrink with Nero (seems to work well)

I have found out that original DVD's are Dual layer DVD9 and the DVD-R's we buy are single layer DVD5's.

I have 2 questions.

Is it possible to buy DVD-R's that are dual layered.

Is it worth removing movie trailers, foreign languages, etc to save a bit of space and therefore get a slightly higher compression ratio ?

Regards

Digby
    If you're using DVDShrink, why do you need dual-layer discs?

yo

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    In most cases the compression can be minimized...

Click the Re-Author button and drag the main movie to the DVD Compilation area.

Click the Compression Settings tab and remove any unwanted language tracks.

Note: Nero isn't needed. Click the Backup button and select: ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Ahem!, you should have said "Nero isn't needed if you have Dvd Decrypter installed. Actually DvdShrink will not see Decrypter unless it was installed prior to Shrinks installation, I believe it has to see it when its installed for that option to be enabled. Fortunately you can install Decrypter and reinstall Shrink over itself and your good to go. The only thing I don't like about the Shrink/Decrypter combo is setting the burn speeds can be difficult since it wants to jump to burning automatically and reduced burn speeds means less problems. I have mine set to 4x but for the life of me I can't remember how I got them there, before that it always went at Max speed. Maybe I burned something with Decrypter alone and set it to 4x that way or I used another option that still allowed me to make choices (stopping the auto burn) and set it then. No matter, once set, it will always use the speed you chose.

That said, I have dual layered dvd's I use for specific burns though I rarely use them for movies. There are games you can buy or download for that matter (iso) that weigh in at 6 or 7 gigabytes and unless you split them up to two disks, they have to go onto a dual layer disk. There are some movies where the extras are worth the more expensive disk, Kung Pow for example has a ton of extras including being able to watch the whole movie with the original vocals (whats said during the movie is not whats said during shooting, thats what gives it the dubbed look where the lip sync looks like a foriegn movie dub) Shrinking that to just the main movie takes away all the fun for anyone you might share with.

Always burn at the slowest speed when burning dual layer Dvd's. They have problems in some burners and with some apps and a $1.50 coaster sucks. I haven't had a coaster yet going from Iso to disk with Nero Burning Rom at the slowest speed possible.

Use the dual layers sparingly and choose a reliable brand and you will be OK. 95% of the movies you will create will be fine shrunk, and remember, even if DvdShrink is reducing a movie to 70% of its original size it going to be 4.3 gig 70% not a 700mb avi, now thats quality loss in my opinion. I have shrunk movies by 50% and they look pretty darn good in my opinion.
    Last edited by Appzalien; 07-06-2007 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    fstrulz's Avatar got milf? BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    The best dual layer discs out there right now are made by Verbatim (made in Japan).

I usually encode DVD9 movies with DVD Rebuilder Pro with CCE SP (removing non-English audios, extras, and special features) for the best picture quality as possible.

I only use DVD Shrink to re-author sequel or trilogy+ movies to make them fit in a dual layer disc.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by fstrulz View Post

I usually encode DVD9 movies with DVD Rebuilder Pro with CCE SP (removing non-English audios, extras, and special features) for the best picture quality as possible.
    How does "removing non-English audios, extras, and special features" make it "the best picture quality as possible" on Dual layer DVD9?

Everything should fit without removing or compressing anything when using Dual layer (No loss of quality).

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    fstrulz's Avatar got milf? BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    How does "removing non-English audios, extras, and special features" make it "the best picture quality as possible" on Dual layer DVD9?

Everything should fit without removing or compressing anything when using Dual layer (No loss of quality).
    I meant I encode DVD9 movies with DVD Rebuilder Pro with CCE SP.... to fit in a DVD5.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    flaVius's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    I only use my DVD9s on games. If your gonna start burning alot of DVDs I would recommend using DVDfab instead its a much better prog. DVDshrink you need to have AnyDVD coupled with it for maximum effectiveness.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    raspberry1331's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    burning movies on a DL disc is not so simple. nero is not capable of doing it, and you have to be careful not loosing the layer break information (which will tell your DVD player where to switch layers). although if you loose that information (and some say that dvdshrink won't read it out properly), you can still use PGCEdit to find good layer break points on the DVD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast