Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti-file Sharing Law Starts Today

The front page of the USA Today had an article today that the music industry is going to track people who download and share music files: and once they have a person's info they will be sued. I also heard on Howard Stern this morning that the guy who put THE HULK online before it went to theatres is in jail.
    What do you think will happen to private file sharers like ourselves? I am interested in everyone's opinion. This probably won't stop me from sharing but I want to know how everyone else feels about this and is it legal for them to watch what we do online?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    it's invasion of privacy and have u ever seen that act Bill Clinton signed? The Internet Privacy Act. That's the first thing that comes to lawyers minds..
    Why dont they just stop selling Blank VHS tapes, CDs, and DVDs as well... !

btw, someone move this to Fileshareing forum. it's not a question

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    hey wolfmight, u seem to be the genius of the forum. Any ideas on how we can stop these music industry psychos from tracking our uploads and downloads? Will a simple firewall like Zonealarm work?

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by slicepie@26 June 2003 - 21:35
    hey wolfmight, u seem to be the genius of the forum.  Any ideas on how we can stop these music industry psychos from tracking our uploads and downloads?  Will a simple firewall like Zonealarm work?
    No, not ZA...or at least not easily.

Other firewalls are easier to configure with IPs..

Try PeerGardian, and keep it upto date.

However remember you dont need the whole database in there...just put in the IP ranges that will affect YOU.

The database includes Government depts from all over Europe/USA...inc Defence etc...obviously some of these ranges are not interested in the whether you have Matrix Unloaded etc....unless its some poor squaddie downloading off you.

Others will be looking for you.

Which ranges you input, depends upon where you live.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    A firewall like Zone Alarm would help, but i suggest if u want to be completely safe... try not to download a any huge amount of files while this is all happening right now and they shoulnt be able to find ya...

I dont understand why they didnt do this about VHS video copying and such back then.. Some people distributed loads of copys of 1 movie.

They really want this to end, but as long as theres the "Internet" i'm not sure it ever will.

I'm thinking the main source of the internet is a bunch of Servers at the US Government.. If they shut down those and the ISPs.... there will be too many problems..
    To me, i think of it as... Your computer is your property.. You can do anything u want on your computer (if u want to crack software... Crack it..) as long as your not hosting some huge warez site with direct download links to files people can download at 100kb/s+, you shouldnt be doing anything wrong.

It's all a bunch of electronic data... and your computer is the painting canvas.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    I posted this question already but it was in a really old topic so I don't think anybody's paying attention to it anymore. Anyway I downloaded Peerguardian and I was wondering a couple of things. How do I figure out which IPs to block and does peerguardian run in the background or do you have to have it open to do any blocking? I ask the second part because I have one process for it running at all times and one process for it that only runs when I have it open.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    i don't know anything about your two processes, but i moved my Peer Guardian folder to my start menu so it loads everytime i log on.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    I got a question.
    Will they hunt down people who's downloading Anime episode or video file as well?

Note: What I meant by video file is NOT those copyright material like The Hulk.

Thank!

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    It's all copyrighted unless it's been released by the owner. Like home made music and video might be OK, subject to the content laws of your country of course.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Those Bastereds!!!!!!!!!!!!! But can they get people outside the US???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast