View Poll Results: should adults be allowed to canvass children at the school gates?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes directly outside children are fair game

6 23.08%
  • no there should be an exclusion zone.

20 76.92%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: outside schools

LaPistola's Avatar about BT Rep: +2
    Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
    Here is your answer, simply put yes they should be allowed to. Look at your own sig, look at what you quote as a form of satire . Don't you think that you are no better if you say it shouldn't be allowed... Just so long as you aren't on school grounds
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    I don't know about the north but in the south an Englishman is about as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify
    Quote Originally Posted by LaPistola View Post
    Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
    Here is your answer, simply put yes they should be allowed to. Look at your own sig, look at what you quote as a form of satire . Don't you think that you are no better if you say it shouldn't be allowed... Just so long as you aren't on school grounds
    Any society has the responsibility to protect the youth of that society. Your reference to the 1st Amendment is somewhat correct but it is incomplete. The establishment clause is to protect you and I from State Sanctioned Religion...Iran?

There are rules to religious beliefs in this country. For example...you cannot sacrifice humans...you cant use illegal drugs...etc. If I were peddling flyers saying that in my religion sex between 10 year olds was acceptable should I be allowed to hand out flyers to Billy and Jane on their playtime?

The schools have a responsibility to protect the kids that are in their charge. We still have a legislative branch. The constitutions beauty is that it can be ammended to the necessity of the times. These are indeed different times.

The constitution is not an excuse for people to act how ever the hell they want.
    Last edited by MaxOverlord; 09-07-2007 at 02:30 AM.
    You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing..... Descartes

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    LaPistola's Avatar about BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxOverlord View Post
    Any society has the responsibility to protect the youth of that society. Your reference to the 1st Amendment is somewhat correct but it is incomplete. The establishment clause is to protect you and I from State Sanctioned Religion...Iran?

There are rules to religious beliefs in this country. For example...you cannot sacrifice humans...you cant use illegal drugs...etc. If I were peddling flyers saying that in my religion sex between 10 year olds was acceptable should I be allowed to hand out flyers to Billy and Jane on their playtime?

The schools have a responsibility to protect the kids that are in their charge. We still have a legislative branch. The constitutions beauty is that it can be ammended to the necessity of the times. These are indeed different times.

The constitution is not an excuse for people to act how ever the hell they want.
    I see your point, but how is the public sidewalk in front of a school any different from a public sidewalk anywhere else? If it is allowed on a street in, say the middle of town, then why should it be restricted on any other public sidewalk or street?
    I don't know about the north but in the south an Englishman is about as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I wonder what would happen if a Muslim Iman stood outside these American schools distributing leaflets promoting Islamic Fundamentalism?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15

I see your point, but how is the public sidewalk in front of a school any different from a public sidewalk anywhere else? If it is allowed on a street in, say the middle of town, then why should it be restricted on any other public sidewalk or street?

There are rules pertaining to schools such as you cant do *blank* or *blank* within 100 yards of a school and so forth.

These are little children. That should be enough for anyone.
    You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing..... Descartes

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    No-one who is not the child's parent or guardian, or a person acting on their behalf, a school employee or someone on other official business (e.g. a Policeman) should go anywhere near the child. Far less try to hand them some form of leaflet or book, not matter what the subject matter.

At most they should ask the school to distribute their material.

The Police should have the authority to move these people away from the proximity of the School.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    how is the public sidewalk in front of a school any different from a public sidewalk anywhere else?
    Does that answer your question?
    Last edited by j2k4; 09-08-2007 at 11:36 PM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    I wonder what would happen if a Muslim Iman stood outside these American schools distributing leaflets promoting Islamic Fundamentalism?

CAIR and the ACLU would be there holding their hands.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened

Aye, true.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1

The whole purpose of education is to enable children to grow up and make their own decisions in adult life. They will be unable to do that if they are brainwashed with any religious teachings of any persuasion. They will only end up believing that 'their' religion is the only religion.

When I was a toddler I was told 'Go to sleep or the big black man will come and get you'. Remember I am talking about 65 odd years ago. Statements like that are embedded in your sub conscious mind as you can see by my result in the other thread.

P.S. I still don't sleep at night but I leave my door open just in case.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast